Well, a very nice reader left a comment on my blog, he gave me a website that has a water filter/purifier that can be made at home it’ s easy, no difficult instructions, no impossible parts to purchase, it is a very simple system using only 4 parts, yes, 4 parts! I’ll post the instructions here, and I’ll give the link to the site where you can get the PDF download, I highly recommend it!
I love my Berkey water purifier, and if I had it to do over again today, I would still buy it, but I do plan on using one (or more!) of these homemade water filters too.
RABBIT WATER PURIFIER
By carefully following these instructions you will be able to
· Drink clear, safe, good-tasting water,
· Improve your family’s health,
· Reduce expenses, and
· Save time.
2. Take Care to Avoid Cracks
Handle the ceramic pot carefully to avoid breakage or cracking. Small invisible cracks may allow microorganisms to pass through the filter, making the water unsafe to drink.
If a ceramic pot full of water takes less than 3 hours to empty, the flow rate is too fast and the ceramic pot should be replaced.
3. Before Using the Filter for the First Time
Fill the ceramic pot three times, allow the water to seep through, and discard the filtered water.
Doing one of the above two steps will flush the clay smell and color from the ceramic pot. You only need to do one of the above steps, it is not necessary to do both.
4. Daily Use
5. Cleaning the Filter
The ceramic pot should be cleaned once per month or when the flow rate begins to slow down.
Do not touch the outside of the ceramic pot with dirty hands and do not set it on an unclean surface.
– Clean the receptacle tank and spigot with soapy water. Put the ceramic pot back into the receptacle tank immediately after cleaning to prevent recontamination. The pot does not have to be dried after cleaning.
6. Good Hygiene
It is important to practice good hygiene to ensure that the water that leaves the filter clean stays clean.
7. Effective Life of the Filter The ceramic filter pot should be replaced when any of the following occurs:
· The filter becomes cracked
· The filter flow rate is too slow and scrubbing no longer causes it to increase, or
· The filter has been used for three years.
Water from the Rabbit Water Purifier has been tested by the Ministry of Health and meets World Health Organization guidelines for clean drinking water
Buy our book - OFF THE GRID - a tour of American off-grid places and people written by Nick Rosen, editor of the off-grid.net web site
Leave a Reply