MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums First Aid What's your favorite way of taking care of pain?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  WrethaOffGrid 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Let’s get this forum rolling, what do you use for healing purposes? My favorites right now for muscle and joint pain are DMSO and capsaicin (internally and externally).

I learned quite a bit about DMSO here:
    http://oneradionetwork.com/health/janet-perry-dmso-answers-from-an-expert-february-28-2012/
    or you can directly download the podcast here:
    http://www.oneradionetwork2.com/mp3/health/challenges/02.28.12_perry_janet_dmso.mp3

Capsaicin is the hot part of peppers, used externally it is said to reduce “substance P”, that is what sends the pain signal, without substance P, no pain signals can be sent, so you feel less pain. I use it on my shoulder, I have what is called “frozen shoulder syndrome”, basically I can’t life my left arm above my shoulder height and very limited behind my back, can’t reach my bra strap at all and if I try it HURTS! Honestly it hurts most of the time, I’ve grown somewhat accustomed to the low and mid grade pain, it has gotten weak and I have lost flexibility because of not using it as much as I used to, I have had this problem for over a year and a half, it starts out slow and gradually builds up to where you almost can’t use that arm, and sleeping is miserable. Fortunately, according to everything I have read about it, it does repair itself over time all by itself with or without treatment. Most people have it for 1-3 years, I guesstimate that I’ll have it for at least another 6 months to a year. I do know that I’ve turned the corner on it, I can move it farther than I used to without pain, I can also lay in certain positions (in bed) that I haven’t been able to do in almost a year pain or no pain.

So for now, I use the capsaicin rub on it 2-3 times a day, that isn’t a cure, but it helps with the pain, especially at night. I also gently stretch my arm/shoulder, and I try to use it as normally as I can within the limitation I currently have, I want to build my strength back up and I want to regain my flexibility, I have to be careful though not to do damage as I do these things.

I would use the DMSO on it too, but until spring, my DMSO is frozen solid, it freezes at a relatively high temp, in the mid to upper 60s F I believe, I am also going to make my own capsaicin rub with DMSO, the DMSO should help the healing go faster, it has worked on my other painful joints and muscles.

On occasion I take ibuprofen, only when I know I’m going to be doing something that might cause my shoulder to hurt, or if I really need to get a good night’s sleep, I prefer not taking that unless it’s absolutely necessary though.

I’ve heard of people using DMSO as well as capsaicin (not necessarily at the same time) for arthritis pain, they are both said to work wonders.

Anyone else here ever suffer from frozen shoulder syndrome?

Anyone else use DMSO or capsaicin internally or externally?

Wretha

survivalinterest
    Participant

Basil is not just for pesto and pizza.  Basil is great to use when down, within three days you may have sunnier moods.  Basil is great for Lowering blood pressure, anxiety relief, as great cholesterol lowering benefit (used with garlic even better), general detoxifier, cleanses  the blood, and for those that have blood sugar levels that are elevated you need basil to help lower your levels. 
    Basil has anti-cancer properties, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, anti-spasmodic and anti-microbial properties.  Basil can be used as an “adaptogen”
    Use basil for abrasions, acidity, amnesia, body rash, chicken pox, common fever, dizziness, insomnia, joint pains, ringworm, tooth discoloration and many other usage.
    Note: Basil has no known side effects and can be used in conjunction with most other remedies.

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Thanks survivalinterest, I love learning new uses for everyday herbs. I knew about oregano oil being good for many of those problems, but didn’t know about basil. :)

Wretha

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.