MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion What were the top three things that surprised you?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  MRGUMBY 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

MRGUMBY
    Participant

TO THOSE LIVING OFF GRID OR THOSE THAT DID FOR LONGER THAN A YEAR:

Could you please name a few things that came as a shock when you made the move to an off-grid situation?

Good and bad.

How could you have prevented the bad and accented the good possibly?

If you were going to make the move over again, what would you have done differently?

Dustoffer
    Participant

A few things; I had to get a manual controller for my full tracking system, because it did not know when hail or heavy snow was coming and would pancake. I should have used thick aluminum foil EMI/RFI shielding between the inverters and the rest of the house, and put my phone lines further away. I wish that I would have known of the extreme humidity problems in my Earthship/greenhouse.

These things were not mentioned in the Independent Home, Solar Living Sourcebook, or Earthship books.

MRGUMBY
    Participant

Forgive me, but what do you mean by “pancake?”

You are not the first person to mention the “indoor rain” that can be an issue with an earthship. I think the thing that disturbs me about it, is the lack of response by the designers. Even those who spent money on custom plans seem to have issues in certain climates.

Michelle and I have tentatively modified our plans because of this. While we fully intend on a atrium, I am really thinking of a more conventional sewer for the toilet waste and all of the grey water exiting the house…skipping the planters altogether.

What have you done to remedy your problem?

PS, that is not the only thing that seems to be recurring when you ask people if they have had troubles. Some folks get cult-like if you question certain things…treating the designer, who shall remain un-named, like a deity.

The sad thing is, unless the designer is told of issues, they cannot be tackled. We are all in a learning state and the sharing of info—good and bad—is paramount for ongoing improvements in this style of home.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.