MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion what voltage for off-grid wind turbine?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Justjen 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

teresa

I’m thinking 12 volt will be the most compatible with more batteries, but some of my reading has suggested 24 volt is more universal. So help please.

1. is it pretty basic (cheap equipment) to step down voltage if the turbine is 24 and the batteries are 12 -or even 6 volt golf cart batteries?

2. I think that Hornet is a reliable brand for a small scale system like I want to start with? I’m thinking it will be easy enough to scale up by adding extra turbines in my location so it makes the most sense to start with a small basic unit. Anyone have experience linking multiple turbines –what are the drawbacks of 4 small turbines vs one large one?

thanks in advance,

Teresa

Justjen
    Participant

12 volt would be compatible, but with step-up transformers. 48 volt would be the most efficient to step down through a transformer to 12 volts. Making the most kilowatts is what counts.

Cheers!

Just

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.