MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion simple question…hard to find answer

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  gordo 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

doc1989
    Participant

does anyone know a rough estimate of cost to go off the grid? i understand that many things contribute to cost but im looking at minimum, im building a small cabin meant for one person but two could live comfortably. im not trying to have all sorts of luxuries but light and just basic ammentities. i know how to build an ozone generator for purifying water, im more interested in generating and storing electricity. i was thinking solar panels or a wind turbine hooked up to a car batterey bank? i havent had much oppurtunity to experiment with off grid technology in wisconsin (where i plan to go otg) but i have lived off the grid for 8 months in the desert, im not new to this, its just a different enviroment.

Jay
    Participant

The best advice I have, as I have asked this question before is unfortunately more questions:

Ask yourself the following

How much land do you need and the cost of that?

How much will the cabin cost to build ? Research and get a rough estimation.

research solar and wind plus all the bells and whistles needed to operate/store the electricity.

Then look at average cost of propane and other fuel you may need.

Get a rough estimate on everything and add 20% and you will have a good idea of the figure you are looking for.

gordo
    Participant

what are basic ammenities in you eyes? i lived with a 15watt pannel, 4 old/used/abandoned car batteries, 1 750 inverter (100 bucks). lights, music, charge your phone. heads up makita rechargeable tools are best for non sine wave power, dewalt will die.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.