Media Workers and TV Researchers - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Rain rain beautiful rain

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    WrethaOffGrid
    Participant

Woot! It’s raining, a good soaking rain, we have needed this so much, of course it happens when I am planning on going out… I have to hike down my hill and cross the creek (usually dry) to my truck, guess I’ll have to wait a bit…

What’s the weather been like where you are this spring?

Wretha

beast
    Participant

too damned much rain
    my mold is mildewing

WrethaOffGrid
    Participant

LOL

Cahow
    Participant

Well, Wretha, our Spring Weather this year in Chicago/Michigan was horrid…simply horrid. Between last year and this year, we’ve only known two extremes: killing drought or terrible flooding. Last year, we began Spring with temperatures in the 90’s…in Michigan!!!!!!! We’re supposed to be in the low 40’s, maybe. Michigan is a major supplier of fruit and vegetables to many states and we got destroyed over here. All the grapes, peaches, apples, etc., fruited  out in frickin’ MARCH…there were NO BEES around at that time, and then the rug got pulled out from under us and we got freezing normal temps in April, killing all the flower buds. So, 100% of Michigan’s peach and grape crop was wiped out and 75% of our apple crop. :( The rest of 2012 was drought, drought, drought….as a landscape architect, we’ve never put in so many irrigation systems in our 23 years of business. The poor farmers: NONE have irrigation up here so their crops were destroyed. We normally have so much rain that having irrigation would be ‘plum foolish.’

Now, in 2013, here’s our stats: April: coldest and wettest April in 140 years of record keeping! May had double the amount of rain that’s normal (22.3″ vs 13.1″). So, fruiting is delayed, crops planted are delayed, etc. by about 4-5 weeks. The fact that it’s almost the 4th of July and our JUNE strawberries are just coming in…well, that tells it all. Our corn should be “knee high by the 4th of July”; corn in the fields right now is less than 12″. Beans (soy) are just green “fuzz” in the rows, not even high enough to count. But..we haven’t had to irrigate a thing! (LOL)

We’re worn out, emotionally. We’ll get freeze warnings for Mother’s Day and Memorial Weekend followed by four 80 degree days. Last week, our temps dropped 48 degrees in two hours: we were at 92 degrees in the morning with the air conditioners blasting, and at night, our furnaces were turned on against the 44 night temps. We go through 4 seasons of clothing on days like that: starting with jackets and sweaters and ending up in shorts and t’s.

This has been a wacky two years we’re living through. I guess “it makes life interesting.” ~shrug~

WrethaOffGrid
    Participant

Wow, crazy weather indeed, I think that instead of all those in charge, instead of arguing over who or what is causing climate change and how to stop or prevent it, they should be focusing on how to live with it, it’s coming, it’s here, we should be adapting, figuring out other places to plant crops that used to grow elsewhere and such…

I understand schizophrenic weather, living in the high desert, it can be hot as hell during the day (dry heat fortunately) and drop into sweater weather over night, that’s normal for us, and I love it, in fact the hardest thing to get across to new people out here, when my family comes to visit from Fort Worth and Dallas, maybe it’s August, I have to remind them several times to be sure to bring some sweats and a sweater, the sweats are for sleeping in, it can get downright cold overnight, but since they are coming from 100+ and high humidity, they can’t even fathom sweats in the desert. :) All summer long, I keep a sweater or at the very least, a long sleeve denim shirt in my truck and bug, one never knows when it will come in handy.

Wretha

wirerat123
    Participant

We’ve had a ton of rain. What’s amazing is how the garden thrives with real rain or well water versus using city water.

beast
    Participant

no chlorine or added crud to poison your crops

wirerat123
    Participant

Yes sir, and most of my plants LOVE it. After a rain, my plants grow about twice as much as they would after a watering with the city water.

I really need to get me a good well pump, I have 2 awesome wells on my property, and not a single well pump lol. Not even a hand pump. Any water we get out of the wells is currently hand drawn.

beast
    Participant

crock wells?

wirerat123
    Participant

One is a drilled well about 75′ deep, the other is a hand dug well about 50′ deep. Both have water within a couple feet from the top. We’ve hit a snag in finances and can’t get our solar pumps just yet.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.