MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion plans for off grid

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  WrethaOffGrid 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

northern person
    Participant

Hi I Have just recently completed my off grid home. Some of the mistakes I have made are, if your going to use solar than spend the money on the 12 volt appiances etc and dont use any 120 volt if possible. A great site is N.A.P.S. or google the (solar store fairview) They have great 12 volt products and are resonable priced. 12 volt LED lighting, 12 volt cieling fans, rv pumps water well pumps.

I am using a wood stove for heat but do use propane for fridge and cook stove. They also have info on building your own 12 volt fridge or freezer.

caverdude
    Participant

Give us exact link, that search finds solar panels but not appliances.

http://larrydgray.wordpress.com (off-grid and more)

Dustoffer
    Participant

I found the opposite to be best. My charge control system, battery banks and inverters are in a special shed attached to the house. Inside the house is all 120VAC, except the well pump which is 220VAC.

Going any distance with DC requires heavier wire than AC, a substantial increase in cost. We also use propane for some heat, refrigerator, stove/oven, and hot water heater. A wood stove provides additional heat, with cooking capacity.

I have two solar electric systems in the house. One 24VDC with twin com-linked inverters, and a 12VDC system in my addition, with selectable pure sinewave and modified square wave inverters, and a sub-panel. The batteries, charge controller, inverters, battery banks, and grounds are in a special 8′ tall x 33″ wide x 12 3/4″ deep cabinet, the upper 66″ of it, storage below.

My Earthship also has a 12VDC from charge controller and small sine wave inverter to wiring for 3 outlets and 3 lights. It has a 12VDC Shurflow pump hooked to the battery bank, and composting toilet, rainwater catchment, and wood stove backup.

northern person
    Participant

N.A.P.S. Solar Store(info@solar-store.com

northern person
    Participant

N.A.P.S. Solar Store(info@solar-store.com

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Here is the link to the store

http://www.solar-store.com/index.html

Wretha

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.