MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion off grid vehical setup

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  chowan 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

chowan
    Participant

Im pretty sure there are other off griders like me who basically lived out of there car or truck for a bit and thought i would share how I have my truck

setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAQtoGr4hiM

caverdude
    Participant

Very cool, never heard of using an alternator as an arc welder before. Thanks for that tip.

I have bought a 1984 GMC 3/4 Ton van that I’m fixing up for my BOV (new term “BOV” ‘bug out vehicle’)

chowan
    Participant

not sure on the exact year but you probably have the same alternator in your

van that i have been using.

to make it into a welder you need to take out the internal regulation

and put 12 volts to the rotor coil this can make the alternator put out

120 volts dc at higher rpms.

the built in rectifiers handle it fine but dont electrocute yourself if you ever try it.

i have a extra backing for the alternator which i just change out if i want to do some welding with the truck.

I am using basically the same thing as my constant current backup charger but it has a resistor wired in to drop the voltage to the rotor coil so that i can regulate the current to the batteries.

it can also be changed to charge 12,24,36,48 or even higher voltage battery

banks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.