MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Off Grid interview

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  12vman 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Here is our very own Nick Rosen, being interviewed on Coast to Coast am
    http://www.coasttocoastam.com/guest/rosen-nick/46679

Published on Oct 31, 2012

Documentarian and journalist Nick Rosen discussed living off-the-grid, typically in alternative communities. This means living independently of the utility companies, and providing your own power, “but it does not mean living in the Stone Age,” he explained. “It’s about being more self reliant, being less dependent on the system, and realizing we have to look after ourselves,” he added. Rosen bought a hut and some land in Spain along the Mediterranean and was able to go off-the-grid using such things as solar panels and rainwater harvesting. His website offers an interactive section called Landbuddy for people to help each other go off-grid in their local regions.

Some 750,000 households in America have gone off-the-grid, and this trend is growing at 10-15% a year, he reported. He traveled to various parts of the country documenting how people and communities were successfully becoming independent. Interestingly, he noted that powerful groups like the Bilderbergers and Trilateral Commission sought to keep the old inefficient energy systems in place, to protect their investments, but the off-the-grid movement serves as an alternative to this kind of centralized power and control.

Biography:

Nick Rosen is an award winning documentary maker, journalist, and broadcaster. He has made films for CBS 60 Minutes and PBS Frontline and has written for the Washington Post and Reuters. Born and based in London, England, he has often lived and worked in the US. He says when he wants to know what the future holds, he comes to America.

Over the past two decades he has been a Teaching Assistant at the Georgetown University Philosophy Department, a journalist in San Francisco and a documentary filmmaker in New York. Nick is an off-grid expert, editing the website http://www.www.off-grid.net, and since 1994 has been off the grid part-time.

Wikipedia
    The term off-grid refers to not being connected to a grid, mainly used in terms of not being connected to the main or national transmission grid in electricity. In electricity off-grid can be stand-alone systems (SHS) or mini-grids typically to provide a smaller community with electricity. Off-grid electrification is an approach to access electricity used in countries and areas with little access to electricity, due to scattered or distant population.

Off-the-grid homes are autonomous; they do not rely on municipal water supply, sewer, natural gas, electrical power grid, or similar utility services. A true off-grid house is able to operate completely independently of all traditional public utility services. The idea has been recently popularized by certain celebrities including Ed Begley, Jr. who stars in Living with Ed television show on the Home & Garden Television network. Actress Daryl Hannah promotes off-grid living and constructed her home in Colorado according to those principles, as does survival expert and Dual Survival co-star Cody Lundin.

Electrical power

Electrical power can be generated on-site with renewable energy sources such as solar, wind or geothermal; with a generator and adequate fuel reserves; or simply done without, as in Amish and Old Order Mennonite communities. Such a system is called a stand-alone power system.
    Water

On-site water sources can include a well, stream, or lake. Depending on the water source, this may include pumps and/or filtration. Rainwater can also be harvested.

Survivalism is a movement of individuals or groups (called survivalists or preppers) who are actively preparing for emergencies as well as possible disruptions in social or political order, on scales ranging from local to international. Survivalists often have emergency medical and self-defence training, stockpile food and water, prepare for self-sufficiency, and build structures that will help them survive or “disappear” (e.g. a survival retreat or underground shelter).

Anticipated disruptions include the following:

Clusters of natural disasters, patterns of apocalyptic planetary crises, or Earth Changes (tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, blizzards, solar storms, severe thunderstorms). A disaster caused by the activities of humankind (chemical spills, release of radioactive materials, nuclear or conventional war, oppressive governments). The general collapse of society caused by the shortage or unavailability of resources such as electricity, fuel, food, or water. Financial disruption or economic collapse (caused by monetary manipulation, hyperinflation, deflation, or depression). A global pandemic. Widespread chaos or some other unexplained apocalyptic event.
    Concepts Everyday carry EDC First aid and wilderness first aid Intentional community Off-the-grid Law of Life living off the land Peakist Portable water purification Primitive skills Survival skills

12vman
    Participant

Thank you, Wretha. It was great to really listen to Nick and his thoughts and visions..

I spoke to him once on the phone. It was in response to his venture of interviewing folks in the U.S.A. that were currently off grid. I offered him an interview and I remember one of his questions was.. “What business do you own?”. I answered.. “I don’t own a business but I’m totally off grid”. I guess that was the deal breaker, being I’ve never heard from him since..

He made a comment.. “I need to be involved with a community. I couldn’t do it (Going totally off grid) on my own”. What kind of mindset does that imply? I admire his knowledge and clout but how can one promote something when they don’t do it themselves?

He stresses “Community” and “Grid Tie”. Personally, I believe both of these thoughts are crazy! With the community thought, one must still rely on a neighbor for something that they can’t do. If one chooses to go off grid, one should be prepared to be independent. Grid tie..? Why? Now one has the power company watching them and one must play within their parameters. My statement to that is.. “Be selfish.. Supply yourself!”..

I could agree on a community with totally independent households being dependent on themselves and bartering products among each other but I couldn’t imagine asking a neighbor to come over and install my panels for me..

It was my choice to be off grid and to be independent on my own. I designed/built my own shack. I designed/installed my power system. I designed/built my rain water collection system. I designed/built my bathroom waste system.. (The “I” list goes on and on..)

Point being.. I was a complete city boy and had no clue of what I was getting into. I had no one to work with because everyone around me thought that I was nuts! (Some took bets on me, saying that I wouldn’t last a year out here. That was in 1989.) I didn’t have the internet for years. I had a lot of learning to do and I did it..

I believe that Nick doesn’t understand the Independent American mindset. All of the folks that I’m involved with has no interest in a community and chooses to be an island of their own. A “Co-Op” of like minded folks would be a better idea. Then folks could do their own thing but still have buying power and a resource of information/help if one should require it, designed after the current farmers Co-Op system..

I work a full time job and I don’t have the time to properly take care of a big garden or livestock. I do grow a few vegetable plants and look after a small flock of chickens and a couple of rabbits, but I do have my housing under control. After I retire, then I’ll work on the other things..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.