Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 246 total)
  • Author

Health Benefits of Dandelions

The health benefits of dandelion include relief from liver disorders, diabetes, urinary disorders, acne, jaundice, cancer and anemia. It also helps in maintaining bone health, skin care and is a benefit to weight loss programs.

Despite the health benefits of dandelions, they are traditionally more popular as ornamental flowering plants than as medicine, because the flowers of dandelions look brilliant and are frequently seen in gardens and parks. There are many varieties of dandelion, but the common dandelion is scientifically known as Taraxacum Officinale. Dandelion, which literally translates into “lion’s tooth” in French, is rich in vitamin-A, C, iron and calcium and detoxifiers which explains its common inclusion in medicines. Below, we will discuss the different things that benefit can do for us, besides decorating our gardens.

Health Benefits of Dandelions

The health benefits of dandelions include the following:

Bone Health: Dandelions are rich in calcium, which is essential for the growth and strength of bones, and they are rich in antioxidants like vitamin-C and Luteolin, which protect bones from age-related damage. This inevitable damage is often due to free radicals, and is frequently seen as bone frailty, weakness, and decreased density.

Liver Disorders: Dandelions can help the liver in many ways. While the antioxidants like vitamin-C and Luteolin keep the liver functioning in optimal gear and protect it from aging, other compounds in dandelions help treat hemorrhaging in the liver. Furthermore, dandelions aid in maintaining the proper flow of bile, while also stimulating the liver and promoting digestion.

Diabetes: Dandelion juice can help diabetic patients by stimulating the production of insulin from the pancreas, thereby keeping the blood sugar level low. Since dandelions are diuretic in nature, they increase urination in diabetic patients, which helps remove the excess sugar from the body. Diabetics are also prone to renal problems, so the diuretic properties of dandelion can help removing the sugar deposition in the kidneys through increased urination. Furthermore, dandelion juice is slightly bitter to taste, which effectively lowers the sugar level in the blood, as all bitter substances do.

Dandelion

Urinary Disorders: Dandelions are highly diuretic in nature, so they help eliminate deposits of toxic substances in the kidneys and the urinary tract. The disinfectant properties of dandelions also inhibit microbial growth in the urinary system. In fact, the diuretic properties of dandelions are so strong that in France, the flower is also called “pissenlit”  which means “urinate in bed”.

Skin Care: Dandelion sap, also known as dandelion milk, is useful in treating skin diseases which are caused by microbial and fungal infections. This treatment stems from the fact that the sap is highly alkaline and has germicidal, insecticidal and fungicidal properties. You should be careful while using this sap, and avoid any contact with the eyes. This sap can be used on itches, ringworm, eczema, and other skin conditions without the risk of side effects or hormonal disturbances commonly caused by pharmaceutical skin treatments.

Acne: Dandelion juice is a good detoxifier, diuretic, stimulant and antioxidant. These four properties make it a great treatment for acne. Before we know how it treats acne, we must know what causes it. Acne typically arises during the teenage years, when the body undergoes many physiological and hormonal changes. The flood of new hormones that bring about the changes in the body must be regulated, but if they don’t remain at a healthy ratio, they tend to deposit somewhat toxic substances into the body. These toxins tend to come out along with sweat through the sweat glands or sebaceous glands on the skin.

During these hormonal changes, these glands secrete more oils which, when mixed with dead skin, block the pores and the secretion of toxins is obstructed. Therefore, the toxic substances cannot escape and eventually result in acne. This situation is exacerbated by the microbial infections on the effected places. Dandelion juice, being a stimulant, diuretic and detoxifier in nature, can help regulate proper secretion of hormones, increase sweating and widen the pores. All of these factors help to facilitate the removal of toxins through sweat and urine. Furthermore, dandelion sap, if externally applied to areas with acne, can inhibit microbial infection and reduce the frustrating signs of acne.

Weight Loss: Our urine consists of up to 4% fat, so the more we urinate, the more water and fats are lost from the body. Dandelions, being diuretic in nature, promotes urination and thereby helps lose the dreaded “water weight” without causing any side effects.

Cancer: Dandelions are high in antioxidants, such as vitamin-C and Luteolin, which reduce the free radicals (major cancer-causing agents) in the body, thereby reducing the risk of cancer. It also detoxifies the body, which further helps protect from the development of tumors and various cancers.

Jaundice: Jaundice is primarily a disorder of the liver in which the organ starts overproducing bile, which ultimately enters the bloodstream and wreaks havoc on the body’s metabolism. The excess bile is also reflected through color of the skin, and eyes, which typically develop a yellow tint. The treatment of jaundice includes three main steps. First, you need to curb the production of bile. Second, you must remove the excess bile from the body, and third, you have to fight the underlying viral infection. Dandelions are very helpful in all of these steps. It promotes liver health and regulates bile production. Being diuretic in nature, it promotes urination, where the excess bile can be eliminated. Finally, as an antioxidant and disinfectant due to the presence of vitamin-C and Luteolin, it fights viral infections as well. It is most beneficial when taken with sugarcane juice, since it replaces the sugar in the body that is significantly lowered due to the impact of excess bile. A lack of sugar can cause extreme fatigue and weakness, so dandelions help boost your energy levels after infection!

Gall Bladder Disorders: Dandelions are very beneficial for the gall bladder and liver, because they improve their general functioning, protects them from ill effects of oxidants and infections, and regulates the various secretions from both organs.

Anemia: Dandelions have relatively good levels of iron, vitamins, and protein content. While iron is the integral part of hemoglobin in the blood, vitamins like vitamin-B and protein are essential for the formation of red blood cells and certain other components of the blood. This way dandelion can help anemic people keep their condition in check.

High Blood Pressure: Urination is an effective way of lowering blood pressure. In fact, most of the modern medicines for lowering blood pressure are based on this phenomenon. Dandelion juice, being diuretic in nature, increases urination, both in quantity and frequency. Therefore, it helps lower high blood pressure. The fiber in dandelion is also helpful in reducing cholesterol and thereby assists in lowering blood pressure, since cholesterol is one of the factors that increases blood pressure. Finally, there is the high potassium content of dandelions, which is very effective in lowering blood pressure by replacing sodium.

Other Benefits: Dandelions can also be used as a vegetable and is a good source of fiber. It promotes digestion, and in the past, it was used to treat scurvy, because of its high levels of vitamin-C. It also has healing effects on dyspepsia, infections in the stomach, intestines and urinary system.

original article found here
    https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/herbs-and-spices/health-benefits-of-dandelion.html

Thanks jengr, easy? Well maybe parts of it were easy, I think it was more a case of wanting to do it so badly that going through the “rough” parts wasn’t an issue for me/us. And we did live pretty rough, the first little bit we lived in a partially completed “box”, 2 of the 4 walls were builder’s plastic and wire, there wasn’t a proper roof, we had no water, no heat (it was December and it was getting down in the teens overnight), I had no plumbing, kitchen or otherwise, most everyone I knew said they couldn’t/wouldn’t live that way, but for me it was Heaven. We eventually got all all of the things done that made life easier. You can learn more about our beginnings here, click back to the beginning.
    https://offgriddev.wpengine.com/wretha/page/16
    This link takes you back to the beginning of my posts here.Anyhoo, you can read about how we got started, scroll down to the bottom of each set of posts (not the individual posts) and hit “newer entries” to go to the next page, most of he older posts were imported from my personal blog.

It’s really good that you have access to land with few restrictions, you might want to confirm that before deciding on a property though, unless you know FOR SURE, I grew up in a town near Fort Worth and had always “heard” how things were but honestly things change and people’s chatter isn’t always accurate.

Hope you are able to sell your place and get what you want.

GardensWaterwheels
    Participant

Yes! totally agree with you. When I set this up ill put up a video of how i did it and every step as to how you can do it aswell? Man, I’m exited.

Skrew all else, with this kind of set up, you will be the free mountain man living how human beings should   c: if the machine is built well, it WILL last. Gotta have a good spot! And team support. And 4 – 5 years of extra supercharged saving. It will be worth it!! c:

kpb84
    Participant

Hello, I’d like to know know more about what/who you’re looking for. I’m 30 and looking to make a drastic change in lifestyle and learn OG.  Like you said, wanting to escape the rat race and make something more of my life. OG community living has always been something I’ve wanted to do and I’m pushing towards it not. Please email me if you’re interested, kpbogan@live.com.

GardensWaterwheels
    Participant

or, having a powerful enough perennial stream running through your property,  you could dam it in segments and have more than one water wheel charging a group of batteries each, that you manually replace,.. or having a water wheel powered water pump located at a more powerful part of the stream up river, this main pump could then pump water down several channels, a waterwheel at the end of each channel, running side by side under big waterfall, so that you can have your electricity generating waterwheels close to each other, and close to your house, where you will be using the electricity,.. or something, hmm

tvproducer
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I was hoping someone on this thread would be interested in speaking with me. I’m a TV/documentary producer looking to develop a show that features off the grid communities. I’m particularly interested in families who recently made the jump or are looking to do so in the near future. The show would be an authentic look at daily life of families/communities who prefer to be truly self-sufficient.

I’d love to hear more about your experiences and learn about what’s inspired you to live off the grid. If anyone here is willing to briefly speak with me via email or telephone. please reach out to nick@off-grid.net and they will pass it on. P

Thanks!

Dan

skyler94
    Participant

I am a Washington resident lived here my hole life . i have lived off the grid before, i am 20 and am looking for like minded people that wont to better them self’s. i am working on my personal plan to escape to the forest. if ur still planing to go off the grid or living off the land i would love to be apart of this opportunity  hers my email scrowder23@live.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dandelion Leaf (Taraxacum officinale) offers a number of benefits for the liver and gallbladder. A natural diuretic, Dandelion Leaf is commonly used to help remove excess water and toxins from the body. Dandelion Leaf helps promote bile excretion from the liver so the body can more efficiently process foods and liquids while also purging harmful toxins.Dissertation writing services in addition, improved bile flow makes it possible for the body to better metabolize fat, which helps optimize the body’s cholesterol levels.

davekr
    Participant

I think making use of solar energy is your best choice. Consult with an electrical expert or if you are confident enough, you can buy solar panels, batteries and charge controller and try to make it your own. Use solar panels for charging the batteries and connect them to the inverter. Try to find necessary utilizes less power as possible, which will better for an off-grid cabin. A few years back, I owned a small cabin which was off the grid too. I used solar panels, batteries and stativolt inverters made by staticon and never had any issues with power for my limited needs.

12vman
    Participant

Make a decision from the start on which way to go. I’ve been total 12 volt for over 15 yrs. and everything has been designed around it. It would be an expensive change for me at this point..

I knew from the beginning  that I was going to be a 12 volt system and I built everything practically by myself. (Light Fixtures, Audio/Video, Security, ect..) I use propane fridges but I could convert to d.c. units. It’s one of my goals in the future but at the time that I was building, propane was easier. I was limited by money and I already had the fridges. I don’t need to invest yet because everything is working just fine..

I like my D.C. system because it’s simple. (Charge Controller, Battery, Panels) Less to fail. If you become reliant on an inverter and it dies, it can upset your whole world. With a D.C. system, you’ll know if there are any issues long before a total loss of power happens. You have no need for an immediate back-up because you can still function as long as the battery holds out. If you have a back-up charging system for the battery, (Generator/Charger) you have more time to fix things with everything operating normally. If your battery goes down, well, you should have known that long before it actually happens..

I do use one inverter. It’s a 400 watt unit and I use it on a few things that I didn’t design for or can’t run directly from the battery. (Soldering Iron, Hot Glue Gun, Charger for my Hand Power Tools) Beyond those few things, everything else is direct to the battery..

I have the blessing of a technical background and my situation became a living experiment. I wanted to see what I could accomplish with a 12 v.d.c. system. I have everything I need, including a 74″ projection video system with surround sound. Had an issue with a ground loop problem between the DVD player (HDMI) and the projector operating from the same battery. I had to build a separate solar power system to operate the DVD/Sound System! It’s been a fun adventure..

Dovely
    Participant

Unless you join a group who has land you really want to own your land. An acre and a trailer would give you a start. I’d look for land in a place that you could add to your land as money became available. Water and septic are very important. You want them to be far apart. Once you have the land and a roof over your head you can work to build anything. Lots of what you need can be found or bartered for.

Winter is a hard time to jump into off-grid living. The three of you need to sit down and make lists of what you all want and what you have and what you are willing to do without. Starting from scratch you will do without a lot. You might want to spend the winter planning, searching for the land and turning what you don’t need into cash. Study what others have done. There are lots of people on the internet who talk about how they are doing it. You may find an old farm that they are willing to give you a rent to own deal. Drive to places you might want to live. Meet the people.

The appalachian mountains are amazing. Too cold for me. I picked northern North Carolina. We have two growing seasons. Very important when you are growing your own food. It’s not too far from where you are now. I’m not off-grid yet. I’m working on my self-sustaining skills while I look for my farm. I have a half acre with two goats, a dozen chickens and 7 giant Pekin ducks. I grow a crazy amount of food. Mostly in raised beds.

I’m making a greenhouse this week out of a 10′ x 20′ steel canopy frame I got on ebay for 95.00 including shipping. I’m going for total passive heat. Which is much easier when the coldest we had last year was only 5 below. The mountains are much colder.

Many people support themselves via the internet. You have to select a place that will give you access to do that. Living near a town with a good Farmers Market is another way to make money. You will still need some money. Figure out how you are going to make it. The property taxes can not be paid in potatoes.

I’ve given you some things to think about. Emails if you have any questions. Good luck!

Dovely

What is the link to the ad? I can delete it but I’ll need to know which one it is. :)

Wretha

Hey Caveman76, how is your project coming along? Sorry for the late reply, been a bit out of pocket lately :)

I sincerely wish you all the luck in the world on your venture….

Wretha

Hi Kyle,

Sorry for the late reply, been away for a bit, but now I’m catching up

You sound like someone who could really make a good go at living off-grid, I don’t know how your finances are but you seem to have some skills, I would suggest getting your own property, as you have discovered, relying on someone else can be problematic, if your name is on the title, then it’s yours and you don’t have to worry about things falling apart.

If you don’t have the money now, perhaps you could work toward getting some funds, work work work, save save save and be on the lookout for the kind of place you wish to live. There is a lot to consider, what kind of place are you looking for? The properties with “issues” are cheaper to get, my property had access issues, it turned out to be a good thing for us and made the property really inexpensive to get.

Can’t wait to hear what else you have lined up :)

Wretha

Welcome Michelle,

I am not in AZ so I can’t give you advice about that, there may be someone else here who can better answer that for you… please keep us updated on your progress though :)

Wretha

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 246 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.