MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Off grid building tires,bottles,pallets?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  praylude_2004 7 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Has anyone here ever built with tires,bottles r pallet. To recycle what you can in to your home? I’m looking in to all three I’m lookin for cheap I can do all the labor. Talking to the guy at the tire shop. He said he has to pay someone to take them off. Why not pay me. And I’ll use them. Any pros cons?

elnav

Also look at sand bag earth fill. Youcan use the earth excavated to make the foundation then build up from ther. The cash outlay is only for the material used for the sand bags. Places where rivers periodically overflow will have a ready source of supply at reasonable cost

WestTexasLawrence
    Participant

Con: The tires outgas benzene gas (a known carcinogen) from the butyl rubber.

So, don’t use them for building a home or raising a garden inside them.

There’s a building built of beer bottles and mortar in Monahans, Texas in the

1950s. Still stands. Was a hamburger stand for many years.

The bottles provide dead air insulation to the walls. You can roof such a

structure with corrogated tin in two layers with black poly pipe between to form a solar water heater, and put gutters around the tin roof to collect rain

water for drinking in 55 gallon plastic water barrels or a black poly water tank. Black poly does not support algae growth in the water.

Pallets can be had for free out here in West Texas and land is available (abandoned farm land) for $300/acre…minimum 5-10 acres. I will help

anyone interested in moving to and living in the desert of West Texas

find and secure a suitable piece of land.

contact me: lawrencerayburn@yahoo.com

Thanks West I lived in Coleman,Tx for a while years ago, and loved it. I would like to move back out the way someday.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.