MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion New to this, where to start

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  erFiodena 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

ama3t
    Participant

I’m about as enthusiastic about learning of OTG living as its possible to be! I’m very excited to begin the research phase, however I’m overwhelmed and not sure were to start.

Some background info. I’m currently a nursing student. My goal is to become a Certified Nurse Midwife. I currently live in a small apartment in a medium sized city in TN with my husband and 1 year old.

I have plenty of time to research. Its unlikely we would be financial able to pursue this dream for about 2 years. So i want to spend that time doing the research and learning what all is necessary.

So, where do I begin What are some good resources for people who know NOTHING but are very willing to learn?

Dustoffer
    Participant

I started with two books from the library, “The Solar Living Source Book” and “Earthship”. Then I bought “The Independent Home”. That was in 1993-4. I had my solar home by 1998, addition the next year and Earthship by spring of 2001. Mortgage paid off late 2006.

More recent ones may be at your own library, and Amazon.com has them used and new.

caverdude
    Participant

http://blog.larrydgray.net

I recommend many books usually at the bottom of my articles. Let me know what you think about the articles.

elnav

Along with reading the books you can begin with reducing your energy consumption.

Hints are scattered among nearly every article on the subject. Even if you rent and the electric utility bill is included; you can at least get in the habit. Inexpensive power meters like the Kill-a-Watt costing around $20 from Amazon among other places will enable you to actually measure how much energy you use.

By identifying the energy hogs you can change your lifestyle now in preparation for going off grid later.

Hi, Guys

I am full of a new enthusiasm to join this type of site and i want to say also a lot of Thanks for accepting my registration. I am new member for your site and i hope you might be very happy to accepting registration.

Dustoffer
    Participant

With a handle like that, it sounds like you are a sales profiteer. I avoided profiteers like the plague when I went off grid and recommend others do the same.

FrankC
    Participant

John Seymours book on self sufficiency is a good place to start. I think the best idea is to start somewhere in the extreme – like a 100% self sufficient smallholding or something (“where even the dustman should never have to call”) then develop the idea depending on what you want, what your prioroties are, how much you can afford etc. Two years is a good length of time to get a really solid plan together. I personally found a book called “Do It Yourself 12 Volt Solar Power by Michel Daniek” very beneficial in explaining the fundamentals of battery technology, solar panels, regulators in an easy-to-understand way. I basically read that book and had the confidence to setup an entire solar system (which is working really well too).

elnav

I am reminded that most if not all the pioneers who settled this area did not have books to read and guide them when they set up off grid homesteads. How did they ever manage it???

erFiodena
    Participant

I did wwoofing in Australia (http://www.wwoof.ca/ for Canada) for a guy that was living off the grid. It was tough work but the experience was amazing.

I also lived in my van for 6 months travelling around Australia. I guess I should consider that “off the grid” too because in most of the places there was just me, my travel companions and my van. The majority of our expenses were petrol and food.

This two experiences taught me a lot about living independently without or little electricity, and the importance of the art of DIY.

I didn’t read any book but I will read what other posters suggested.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.