MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion new to forum, going off grid on 10 KS acres

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  somanyanimals 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

badger1972
    Participant

I’m closing on my bit of heaven in Southeastern KS in a couple weeks.  Lots of timber, secluded, little Osage river runs on the south side.  I can’t wait to begin my journey.

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Congrats badger1972! That is always a great feeling, are you going to have internet access there? What are your plans?

Wretha

badger1972
    Participant

I plan to have internet (I haven’t researched that yet).  There are no utilities to the property now and I don’t plan to have them run there.  I want to be off grid.  I’m bringing my plan together slowly and giving a lot of thought to everything.  I signed the contract yesterday and close within two weeks.  I’m going to raise most of my own food, hunt fish, trap,.. live.  Thanks

Roger

somanyanimals
    Participant

hi neighbor! My 15 is in sw missouri , no building restrictions. cant wait to see what you build, I am getting close to done with my tiny cabin, its livable just not done.

badger1972
    Participant

Hey Aardeng, not sure what I’m going to start with yet (probaby a tent).  I’m definitely ready to get started.  I’m anxious for some freedom and to get away from this rat race the world has become.

somanyanimals
    Participant

Its hard to decide what to build, I am going to start another house as soon as I am done with this one. Before I built the building  I used to camp out in my woods every weekend, the one weekend i didnt a gigantic tree fell exactly in my camping spot, be careful out there. lol

badger1972
    Participant

Aardeng. What part of Missouri are you?  I’m from Kansas and have been living in Bates county, MO for a couple of years now.  My property I’m getting is in Bourbon County, KS.  I’ve got several pretty flat cleared acres, a lot of timber and the little Osage River running along my property.  Can’t wait for it to be mine, just waiting on closing.

I’ll camp fairly primitively at first while I’m getting started.  I’m going to get a good feel of the place before I build much that cannot be moved easily.  It’s definitely a blank slate.

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Camping on your land BEFORE you build is a great idea, you can’t tell how things work out until you have been there, preferably for 4 full seasons, when we first moved to our off grid place, we were surprised at the winds, specifically the direction it blew, where I came from, summer the wind blew from the south, winter the wind blew from the north, now where I live, it’s completely different, we get mostly westerly winds, and occasionally it blows from the east (usually indicating a change in the weather). Fortunately it didn’t affect how we built our place, but things like water run off during heavy rains and such do make a difference as to where you will want to build.

somanyanimals
    Participant

I live in Mcdonald county its the farthest southwest county in missouri. I cleared about half an acre earlier this year besides that Its nothing but oak, walnut, and dogwoods. I got two payments left on mine ,very excited.

I have lived just a couple miles away for 13 years so i knew what to expect wether wise, I  did watch the sun for well over a year  before designing my house, happy I did,the first place I wanted to build was in a  really dark low spot prone to flooding. It took a while but I got the perfect spot  nice and high with plenty of light yet enough tree coverage to shade the house in summer.

badger1972
    Participant

Wretha, then again on the internet.  It would probably be a challenge to find anything in my area.  The satellite internet companies w/ no unlimited access really isn’t too feasible.  Just too expensive.  I lived north of the area my land is years ago, most likely the same story.

Ideally living off grid we would be without internet (I believe).  But, kind of difficult to do without it once you’ve had it so long.  We’ll see..

somanyanimals
    Participant

we get a bar of service sometimes two, with a service booster and a wireless hotspot generator my wife plans to connect we will have to see how good the connection is. it only has to be good enough to check her work email

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.