MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion (NEW) Poll – Do you buy anything in bulk?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  wirerat123 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Finally found a place where I can embed real polls here, please answer, your answers are completely anonymous, you can choose multiple answers, please comment and let me know what you buy in bulk if anything, how you store it and such…

Do you buy anything in bulk? (multiple answers allowed)

pollcode.com free polls 

http://poll.pollcode.com/r98jg

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

As I wrote in the previous message on this subject, I buy as much as I can in bulk, I use Sam’s club but only get out there maybe once a month at best…

I buy papergoods, paper towels, face tissue (nose wipe), toilet paper, I also buy sugar in 25lb bags (it’s within a few cents per lb of the 50lb bags and I can easily lift it), yeast (yes, I bake that much), dry tortilla mix, coffee creamer (it’s so much cheaper this way), ramen noodles…

Wretha

Cahow
    Participant

We buy very few items in bulk, simply because it’s the two of us and WHERE in the heck does one store the extra “stuff” if you live in a wee space? In our kitchen cabinets, we buy paper towels (25 count) in bulk and in the bathroom linen closet we buy (25 count) toilet paper but that’s it. Now, mind you, if I had a brood of youngin’s or a large extended family, then buying in bulk makes amazing sense. But, when one single bottle of Soft Scrub lasts you 6 months, do you really want to be dusting a 6 pack of Soft Scrub that will last you until 2015? Won’t most of these items go nasty? And the “you”, Wretha, is not aimed at >you<; it’s the general inclusive “you”. I have some friends who are almost bordering on “horder” status because of Cosco and Sam’s Club. They are either single or just the two of them, yet in their basement/garage/cabinets are 25 count boxes of Ramen Noodles/Coffee Creamer/Peanut Butter, etc. Unless you LIVE on those three items (which none of these wealthy friends do) you’re eating year old Ramen Noodles and Peanut Butter, by time you get down to the bottom. Seriously, would a person BUY year old stuff?

What I do buy often is the largest size of something available because of the cost savings and also it takes up the same “foot print” of a smaller ounce unit. If weight is an issue, I have many small plastic bottles with squeeze tops that I simply transfer a smaller portion of the substance into, for ease of handling.

Nice topic, Wretha. Hope more join in.

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Cahow, there are just the 2 of us, I mostly buy things that are non-perishable, peanut butter would not be something on my list to buy in bulk, it goes rancid too quickly…  and besides, good horders know they need to rotate their food, you shouldn’t have perishable foods that end up being a year old…I do buy Ramen noodles by the case, they don’t go bad, I don’t have to buy them but maybe once a year, you can’t tell the difference between fresh and year old Ramen… we don’t have a lot of space either, we have to get creative with space, I wrote about that on the main part of this site, http://www.www.off-grid.net/2012/10/20/prepping-on-a-budget-part-3-storage-and-security/, buying in bulk is something that comes natural to me, I grew up in a larger family, lots of mouths to feed and not a lot of money to go around, we shopped once a month but spent the whole day shopping, that was before places like Sam’s Club and such existed, we had our favorite places to shop, there were even a couple of places that catered more to restaurants but would sell to the public, that was definitely sold in bulk and plain packaging. We would also hit a salvage grocery store in Fort Worth, they had great bargains in there.

Another reason I like to buy in bulk, besides the savings, I live so far away from any major town, our little grocery store has high prices and not very good selections, so when I go into the big town (3 hours away) I buy up what I can knowing it will be at least a month before I will get back out there.

I believe it’s all a mindset, I prefer buying in bulk to save money and knowing I might not get back out to town in a reasonable amount of time… it would be a bit different if I lived in town and had the stores nearby… of course there is always the worry about something happening, a natural disaster, a man-made disaster, anything that would cause a run on the stores, having a stash of food isn’t such a bad thing then, tipping my tinfoil hat now :)

Wretha

Cahow
    Participant

Hey, Wretha. As you explained both your background and your current situation, it makes PERFECT SENSE to shop the way that you do! I thought I had it bad with a 40 mile round trip to the grocery store but THREE FRIGGIN’ HOURS???!!!!! Honey…I’d build a special hut just for bulk items if that was how far from town that I lived! (LOL) We have two upright deep freezers and an inline gas generator that kicks in when we have frequent storms, to power up the house. I guess I do “bulk” by making extra large batches of prepared food so I don’t have to cook every day. So, we’ll have 20 servings of chili, soups, casseroles; baked goods; chopped veggies and loads of frozen fruit to enjoy. If that qualifies as bulk, I guess I do bulk, too. Right now, Michigan Strawberries are in their prime and since last weekend, I’ve frozen 50 quarts. That should take us until next June to finish off. Next comes blueberries and then peaches…Lordy, Lordy…fresh peaches in January….m-m-m-m-m-m–m!

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Cahow, our “little” town, the local one is a 40 mile round trip for me :), there is one tiny grocery store there with not much of a selection, the next town is an 80 mile round trip, there are 2 grocery stores there, not big by most standards but bigger than the closer one, the funny thing is all 3 grocery stores are owned by the same company…

I get out to the store that is 3 hours away about once a month or every other month, it all depends on the lady I care for and her dr appts in that particular town.

I can’t rely on freezers to keep food, we do use canning, canned foods, dry/dehydrated/freeze dried foods. We have several full size freezers and fridges that we keep food in, they aren’t plugged in, they are for dry storage, keeps the critters out and has some temperature stability, doesn’t get too hot in summer or too cold in winter. We also have a big metal water tank on the roof, it’s not used for water, it’s basically a big closet with a door/hatch cut in the side, we use that to store our paper goods (paper towels, toilet paper, and nose wipe) as well as our seasonal items, it works pretty good, PB insulated it so it will not have a problem with condensation.

Wretha

Cahow
    Participant

I love your water tank repurposing. LOL GREAT recycling!  I use to can extensively when my business was small but it takes too much time, in contrast to freezing. All I need to do is blanch veggies, direct freeze fruit and Bob’s Your Uncle…food for a year. I love to bake but HATE to “cook”, so that’s why I make large batches of savory food and freeze it; I really have to be “in the mood” for all that darn chopping, seeding, sauteing, etc. You don’t have to chop flour and brown it before you use it. ;)

P.S. Wretha: I really enjoy how you describe your life. It really seems like you’ve found a great balance. <3

wirerat123
    Participant

Oatmeal, Corn, sugar, beans, wheat, baking soda, Ivory Soap, and a few other things.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.