Media Workers and TV Researchers - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion New Dawn Project, near Albuquerque, NM

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    beast
    Participant

i sent you an email, have not as yet gotten a reply

New Dawn Project
    Participant

beast- we did see your email and, in fact, I was looking at tribe.net today! But I couldn’t find an easy way to see your profile! Perhaps you could copy and paste your profile into an email for us? How about Skype? Do you use it? You can contact me at username: rayzer42

beast
    Participant

im on very bad dial up with a dinosaur pc thats running win2k, skype is totally out of the question…lol

heres me…
    artist, blacksmith, carpenter, farmer, freethinker
    over the years ive spent my time learning old crafts that would help me lead a simpler more self-reliant life
    i can make spinning wheels, grow fibers, process and spin fibers, build a loom, weave spun fibers into material, sew material into clothng or knit and crochet
    i can drop a tree, cut it into lumber and build houses barns sheds, furniture and things like churns pails barrels casks and tubs, i can make carriages and such also
    i am a working blacksmith and tinker, these keep me busy and are my primary income
    i raise my own meats, butcher them and cure my own hides and do some leather work, ive made and repaired harness and shoes
    i heat and cook with wood that i cut myself scraps from lumbering or deadfall fro my own woods
    i used to keep a dairy cow, made my own cheese and butter, but ive no use for 5-10 gallons of milk a day alone
    i ride drive and work horses, ive even trained a couple
    ive done construction work most of my life and am quite proficient in every aspect of it
    i am almost solely self-taught in electronics and computers, repair and programming,tho i did take 2 years of college to see if i could get a degree (got hired as a robotics control programmer and didnt finish)

TUF
    Participant

I rented a small plot of land and try to motivate people to grow their own food. I have been trying to set up a community with a gift economy in mind. Each person grows one crop and we trade with each other and sell off the extra harvest. The money would go back into the community.

So far, after over a year of trying to get people together, nobody has joined. I have taught people how to grow and get some help here and there, but nobody ever stays for even one full harvest.

I am just trying to live by example. Show people that even living in the city you can still be self sustainable.

beast
    Participant

people want it all for nothing dude
    specially no work

What a bummer TUF, unfortunately that is representative to far too many people now days… I hear this all the time, people whining that they want to join something, a movement, they aren’t willing to do it themselves and when someone else starts something like you did, they aren’t willing to join and follow through…

caverdude
    Participant

I can’t see these things working without contracts. It would have to be like a subdivision with restrictions and a HOA. Now as far as people pulling their weight, its difficult enough to do when they are being paid. No pay and near impossible. Ethics have to rule and if they don’t want to have the ethics then the whole thing breaks down. You can’t hold people at gun point in this country and tell them to do their part. I applaud people for trying and wanting to do this kind of thing but it would have to be done properly to work out. A family approach might work but a communistic approach won’t work well in the long run. However no system is perfect.

https://blog.larrydgray.net

New Dawn Project
    Participant

caverdude,

I can’t say I strongly disagree with your sentiment based on an analysis of society and American culture in it’s current state.  We do operate with contracts for our permanent members.  We take ethics and follow-through on commitment very seriously.  However, we are not, and will not become a “work camp” with a strong command hierarchy   That would work against allowing people to follow their joy and find what most inspires them in terms of their community offering.

We have faith and confidence that American culture is quickly changing in these times, and much optimism that people can be better then what you describe.  We believe in giving people a chance to grow, and become that, just as you said there is no way to demand work out of people, there is also no way to demand that kind of growth.  We can only lead by example.  With care, and focus, and following the best of what is in our hearts with regard to communing with our fellows.

caverdude
    Participant

I believe in community, not communism of course. I believe it’s OK for people to live communally.  I think there is a place for that in even America. As long as people are free to leave it at any time. Sharing is great for those who agree to share. Giving is great for those who want to give and receive.  For example a monastery is a type of communistic life. A family unit can be also in a way to some extent. Sharing can be economically efficient. But any of this of course has to be by choice or it turns into theft.  Then there is theft by corrupt capitalism. So if not careful you can trade one evil for another with good intentions. I’m rambling a bit here, but my point is sharing is great, communal living great, community great, giving is great. But when sharing we change the entities of ownership from the individual to a group.  I really don’t have any idea what exactly you are trying to do here. But written agreements will make things cleaner, clearer and more like a community I think. Maybe constitution or creed or tenets or charter or whatever.  Should probably also define areas with boundaries and common areas.

TUF
    Participant

caverdude,
    The type of people who are attracted to communities like the New Dawn Project do not need contracts.

The energies one feels is more binding than any piece of paper. One gathering is all one ever needs to see if a person would add to the community.

It is a mindset, a way of life. Some understand it, some don’t.

I am confused why you bring up communism and wondering if people can leave anytime they want. I think you might be fantasizing or assuming too much. It is not as complicated as you make it out to be. Maybe you are simply thinking out loud, I don’t know…

Are you even interested in joining their community, trying to understand it or..?

New Dawn Project
    Participant

“<span style=”background-color: #fbfbfb; color: #000000; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal;”>when sharing we change the entities of ownership from the individual to a group”… any aspects of group ownership are done via carefully constructed contracts.  While the opportunity exists to become a shared owner, it is only something that will be offered after long and careful analysis and review over many months.</span>

“<span style=”background-color: #fbfbfb; color: #000000; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal;”>Maybe constitution or creed or tenets or charter or whatever.  Should probably also define areas with boundaries and common areas.”… these all exist.  Some in incomplete form at this time as we fine tuned based on real-world experience.</span>

Thanks for your great input caverdude!

… and TUF, yes I agree with you.  But the “energies” on this planet are in flux constantly.  Those external forces can effect behavior and moods of those living in community unintentionally.  Our experience has led us to create ways and means of doing things that take all of this into consideration.  And we certainly believe that the net “energy” of the planet is headed towards one of more sharing, more cooperation, and more community.  And we intend to be part of that shift, or maybe even play a leadership role in it.

caverdude
    Participant

I’m just trying to imagine what exactly you are trying to do.

caverdude
    Participant

How would this community compare to the Earthship Community at Taos NM for example?

https://earthship.com/community

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.