MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion May 1st!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  LivingitNow 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Tom
    Participant

My family of 5 will be off grid as of May 1st.  I have so much to get ready and not enough time to get it all done.  Biggest hurdle is the cash flow.  We know that this will start out like a big camping trip.  cooking on camp stoves,  lights by gas lanterns. Who knows.  But, thanks to all of you and a lot of reading and watching youtube videos.  By summers end I hope to over most of the hurdles that we will encounter.

The house that we are moving to needs a roof, septic hooked up and tons of interior remodeling.  There is a well, but still need to get a 500 gal water tank and rv on demand pump for daily water needs. still need batteries, inverters, solar panels and generator.  I then need to get an occupancy permit.  It is a older double wide on a full basement.  The driveway is 3/4 mile. almost all state land around me.  I am setting on 20 acres of all oak.  The closes power is a half mile.

We are so excided and a little freaked out.

leikeelin
    Participant

Congrats! You will be busy this summer, I am doing the same, with the same goal date. Starting out camping on the property and trying to get set up by winter.

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Way to go Tom! It’s OK to be excited and a little freaked out, I remember when we first moved off grid, it was a little scary because it was so different from how we lived, now over 5 years later, it’s been the best move I’ve ever made, my only regret is not doing it sooner. Keep us informed about how it’s going for you.

Same for you leikeelin, keep us informed about your progress. :)

Wretha

Tom
    Participant

Up date. Running a little behind.  The rain up here in Michigan has been terrible this year.  Not to mention the snow and the cold.  We have started to move our extra stuff.  I have purchased my Aims 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger.  Also 8 215ah 6 volt batteries.  And still shopping for my Panels.  I will start with the generator.  That kind of sucks.  Next time I update I will be moved and off the grid.

LivingitNow
    Participant

Good luck Tom….I wouldnt worry about making your deadline of May 1st….time, when looked at while living off the grid, is measured differently for most of us (LOL).  Keep you are your family safe.  Thanks for the update.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.