MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Local Medicinal Plants

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  rustyfingers 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

There has been a lot of talk here about health care in conjunction with living off grid, something I keep going back to over and over again is learning how to take care of yourself as much as possible. One of the ways I have done that is to learn about the native plants in my area, I live in a mountainous area, the high desert of far west Texas, I looked around and didn’t see much, at first, then little by little, I’ve learned that there are a lot of plants right outside my door that have powerful medicinal qualities. Here are just a few:

Pine needles, have loads of vitamin C; the pine sap has antibacterial properties; juniper berries are good for your kidneys; desert willow has anti-fungal properties; horehound is excellent to stop coughs… there are many others, these are just a few examples.

Many plants that are considered “poisonous” often have medicinal qualities, BUT it is up to YOU to learn what plants are safe to consume, in what quantities and for what purposes and what can be safely mixed and what should never be mixed. Learn what is available in your location, if it is appropriate, have your remedies already made or in a state that can be readily made when you need it, you don’t want to be walking around in December looking for horehound plants (you will not find any then) if you have a cough, you should have already made your horehound cough syrup when it was growing and plentiful in the spring and summer. I have my batch made up.

What do you have growing in your region that has medicinal properties? What do you use?

Wretha

disclaimer: I’m not a doctor nor do I have any professional or medical training, I am not an expert, I am just interested enough to learn what is available in my area and what works for me, this is not meant to be medical advice nor is it meant to treat anything you may or may not have. I am not responsible for any actions you take (or consequences of anything you do) as a result of reading what is written above, nor is anyone associated with https://www.off-grid.net responsible for your actions or consequences as a result of anything written above or any following replies to this message.

rustyfingers
    Participant

Dandelions!

Infused into a tea by drying out the dandelion leaves & letting this dried mix steep in boiled water.

I know everyone else already knows about this one, but do they beleive in it? It took me a while to beleive. I mocked a freind (in a freindly manner), for always drinking this tea but I’ll be damned if hr isn’t the healthiest alcoholic I’ve ever known! This guy doesn’t catch colds, flu’s. Never is sick a day in his life. So I started!

Mind you, I can’t drink alcohol the way this guy does! My drinking problem extends to a beer or 2 on my birthday, maybe, and then perhaps a drink with my brother perhaps once or twice every 2-3 years. So I just don’t have the benifit of the “alcohol germ-killing” this freind of mine may have.

But it hasn’t hurt me at all! And I have Hep-C. My liver is almost finished. At one time, only a couple years ago, my weight dropped to just over 100 lb’s, almost halved from what I normally weigh, due to this illness.

Strick diet & a change of lifestyle, as well as some much needed medical attention brought me back to a healthier weight. In fact, I weigh more now than I ever have. And I drink Dandelion Tea daily!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.