MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion It’s quiet… :)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  desert deb 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Seems to be a bit quiet around here for a few days… there hasn’t been a whole lot going on for me lately, until about 2 weeks ago, we received a “gift”, a multipurpose gift, a footwarmer, a leftover cleaner, an alarm, and lots of fur to go around… a friend gave us a near grown puppy, fortunately this dog isn’t very big and isn’t going to be a big dog, we just don’t have the room (inside) for a dog any larger than this one. I named her Zoe, she is a westie mix, not sure what else is mixed with her, but when you look at her, you see the westie in her. I do need to get her to the vet and have her fixed, hopefully before she goes into heat, there are already male dogs nosing around the yard.

I was really hoping to get a chihuahua (mine passed away last summer, old age), I miss having a lap dog, well our Zoe isn’t a lap dog, at least not now, maybe she will grow to enjoy snuggling… I do know that no one is going to sneak up on our home, she is so alert and lets us know when anyone or any critter comes around. Maybe next year I’ll get my lap dog, for now I have my hands full with this little ball of energy.

What is everyone else doing this spring?

Wretha

Alrod53
    Participant

We’re taking advantage of the earliest spring equinox in 116 years by fisnishing started projects and planting our root crops. We’ll be working on the guest cabin which will help clean up all the pallets and shipping crates we’ve been saving around the yard. Doesn’t look messy here when it snows enough but we didn’t get much of that this year so everyone probably just thinks we’re slobs. Our two jack russell terriers are loving the early spring too. They love to hunt in the hollow. I’ve been battling a degloved leg on one of my horses for almost a year now. Yuck. He’s pretty old so I should have probably put him down but I’m one of those that if he seems happy, let ’em live.

desert deb
    Participant

I like you have a new dog. She chews everything. My new leather work gloves have four finger missing between the pair. She diggs holes and put treasures in them. Gave her a paper plate with food on it yesterday in case i was late getting home and she covered it with dirt, plate and all. i might be too old for five month puppies she wears me out just untangling her cord. I have already lost two sets of shoes and most of a years stack of saved receipts. Im consideri.g prozac, just not sure if i need it for her or me.

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Deb, I understand completely, though I don’t think mine is quite as active as yours is… I have been using clicker training with her and it’s working great, I make her wear a leash to do the training, something she obviously never did before, the first few times she would run in a mad circle biting the lead and pulling so hard, she didn’t like it at all. But by the 3rd time, she was tolerating the leash, I had to stop her from biting the lead, that is their way of trying to be dominant (in control). Today I took her for a walk with the leash for the first time, a real walk, she did so good, I took the clicker and each time she was walking beside me and not pulling (back or forward) I clicked and told her she was a good girl. She is totally worn out now, laying on the end of my bed. You can get a clicker at any pet supply store (Petco and such), or you can get it on Amazon

http://tinyurl.com/7ejucfp

that’s where I got mine (it’s inexpensive) and they have some good and free on line training.

What kind of dog is yours?

Wretha

desert deb
    Participant

Thanks for tip will try. Took her to vet yesterday first long trip one hour. Horrible going south much better coming back. Cattle guards really scared her had to slow for those. Been doing some lead training in the evrnings, working for the extra tagalongs too. Seven dogs out here and only one ever got any training, not a good thing. i think everyone has spring fever, everybody is ready for outside. Me too.

chowan
    Participant

well hi still kicking here but its been quiet mostly just scavenging for used building materials

desert deb
    Participant

Dog update. I am now missing 5 pair of shoes one set of gloves, numerous pens, and pretty much anything below 3foot high. Very interesting month, though i dont mind the shoes so much. I could need a shopping trip. I think everyone is very busy with spring projects we have been on hold for all winter. Know i am, all those outside jobs.

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

LOL Deb, I understand, we have had to pick up anything that is 3 feet or closer to the ground, unless we want Zoe to claim it as her own. The biggest problem is wiring, we have had to completely move a lot of extension cords, getting them off of the ground, I don’t mind losing a piece of paper, but the thought of her hurting herself on a hot wire is not a good thing.

Wretha

desert deb
    Participant

Too true. So far that hasnt been a problem. She spends a lot of time outside now in the big compound, that helps but she has the same problem there. I dont seem to be able to teach her that potatoes in the ground arent there for her to dig in. Doesnt seem to care about the broccoli yet.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.