MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Introduction: last semester of high school and then moving off grid

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  elnav 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

CotaBear
    Participant

Hows it going? I’m a 17 year old high school senior, residing in southern California. In a semester, I’m graduating high school, and I don’t think college is right for me, at least not now. I don’t want to be tied to work by loans.

I’m hoping to move somewhere in the mountains, but I’m open to moving anywhere. I want to grow my own food and harvest my own solar electricity.

I’m considering southern Oregon, cOlorado, Utah, northern arizona, or possibly Georgia or Wyoming.

I enjoy backpacking and climbing, vegan cooking, gardening, and I believe strongly in medical marijuana.

I’m looking for tips and advice, but more so, people to plan going off grid with. I hope to go off grid with someone in the same general area. Hopefullyy this would provide social interaction as well as support on this exciting journey.

Feel free to contact me! I’m very sociable and open

Iminded

Stay safe, happy and healthy

Christian

elnav

Cotabear I can relate to your situation. Right after highschool I also moved off-grid but by living on a boat. Exccept for the fact you usually cannot grow your own food it is almost the same except now there are so many more regulations to deal with. I did find ao old barge where half the area was a garden and the other half was a tiny house of maybe 400 square feet. Apparently the guy has been there for years. you are more likely to find something like this upcoast rather than down in california. SF Bay had something like it but gradually development has forced them out.

My advice is do not be in too much of a hurry. Learn step by step. Your schooling will not have prepared you well enough despite what you think. I have a number of friends from californai, all of them expats who have found greener pastures elsewhere.

Almost guaranteed the first place will turn out to be not the right place. Do not be too eager to spend your money on prfoperty before you really gain experience. AS a young single person it will be easier to live in a vehicle ( (see article elsewhere in this site) while retaining your mobility to see more potential places to settle down.

Renting a garden plot to grow your own food does not tie up a lot of capitol while it does give you experience. A number of municipalities now have such co-op and plot rental arrangements.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.