MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion I want to move off the grid in one year! (Land buddy)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  findinghaven 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Tender

Moving my subject from Land Buddy. Hi, I am interested in moving off the grid in the western part of the US in one year. I am interested in a community of nice,diverse, family focused individuals like myself. Moreover, I would like to add, I really would like to reside around other people interested in off the grid living and who share common ground. Any insight is appreciated.

elnav

People should realize it is possible to move off grid in stages.

If you find a property that is suitable which has utility services such as electrical power or even more you can begin gradually while using the bonus of the power while you set up being self sufficient.

When you reach the point of being able to generate your own power disconnect the utilit. Meanwhile you have some back up available.

For example an old property in delapidated condition; buildings needing major work. Having power for saws and tools is nice and probably would not cost any more than buying a genset plus fuel

caverdude
    Participant

My blog has much about off-grid living… http://larrydgray.wordpress.com

Another good forum is at http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com

This is a huge forum with lots of topic areas that are heavily posted. Once you post a few there you may enter their chat room which has some friendly folks in it routinely.

A huge part of offgrid living in my opinion is in elimination of debt first. This is one way to make it much more feasable. Trying to finance your systems on credit cards is not a great way to go, though some do because banks won’t lend on these features. I suggest spending cash as you go. But to do that you must first reduce debt which in turn increases cash flow.

http://larrydgray.net

http://larrydgray.wordpress.com

Tender

Elnav, that is a great idea. I never thought of things that way. My main purpose in waiting a year is to do everything in stages. To map out my plan and go from there.

Tender

Caverdude, you touch on a great concern to me as well. I think you want to pay off as much debt as possible. In addition, my goal is to figure out the costs for what I want to have off the grid. If you plan to purchase the items or get the items in advance then it a little easier to be successful.

elnav

One thing I have learned the hard way is that planning and purchasing ahead of time often results in getting the not quite right or sometimnes a completely wrong thing. Sometimes its better to just go ahead with whatever you have then once you have tried something you realize what the right thing is to buy.

I have seen people buying something for boating full time live aboard or RVing or similar. After the fact they realize the item in question looked nifty but did not really suit their own particular situation.

We acquired a roto tiller only to discover it was too light weight to cut the hard ground. It took a bigger tractor with a rotivator to cut the ground and prepare it for planting a garden.

elnav

In that same vein A friend bought a nifty cooker gadget from one of the upscale yuppie stores for $95.

I picked up something similar at the good will store for $5.

Tender

Well, I hoping the experts(You) can help me out. I think I can make the transition without a problem. It helps to talk to people before falling off the step. Help me experts!! I am more concern about being around a good bunch of people that are willing to work together.

http://www.offthegridcommunity.com

elnav

Willing hands is a wonderful thing but know how is equally important.

I suggest any such community include at least one old codger who actually remembers how things were done ‘way back then’ before everything went on the internet. Many of the notions posted on off-grid websites lack practicality and are clearly devised by people learning things second hand.

That is not bad, it simply shows how many people today are young enough that they never learned theses things from personal experience unless they took a course. Doing without electricity was a way of life for many pioneers but not for most urban residents. My wife was born off-grid and never saw electric lights until she was 14. When she was 20 she moved into her own place – another log built cabin lacking any sort of modern conveniences. She learnt how to cook chickens in wet news papers similat to how the natives boil water in birch bark containers. Her hunting cat brought home a grouse every week.

This was not a stunt learnt for a school course. That was simply what you did when cooking over an open fire and did not have an oven.

There are literally dozen such techniques developed before modern conveniences. Only the old timers who lived through those days really know them all. It aint all in book learning!

Tender

Elnav, you bring to light some hard facts. The community aspects allows people to learn and grow together. It does help when you bring some skills to the table. I don’t know everything but we had to learn how to do everything as a kid. Female and Male did not make a difference. My family always had a garden. I have plenty of family members in the country. I have always been an outdoors and fix it type of person. Moreover, I think people have to be psychological ready to make the move first……. If you are not mentally ready it can be pretty tough to be successful.

Anonymous

tenderpower (and others who may be interested),

I am also interested in going off grid. I am a single 29 year old female with 2 dogs. I am currently in college and will be graduating next year. After that…I plan to get some solitude, peace, and purpose in my life! I’m going to be spending the next year learning how to do organic gardening, how to raise livestock (chicken, bunnies, and goats), and some other practical things.

I am hoping to find others who may be interested in the kind of lifestyle that I have in mind. If you would be interested, please email me at yours truly cate @ gmail dot com. (no spaces)

offgrid33

This guy did it. Check out his off grid videos! Makes me want to make the big move too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpegkY99pAY

gordo
    Participant

offgrid33- its not difficult. power is just 500ft from my property. i never even contacted the utilityto see what it would cost to extend. the most difficult has been financing. i was building cash out of pocket before getting layed-off. for i8 mo ive been trying to put a mortgage on my home(built with all permits to code /certificate of occupancy ect) the banks wont finance because the secondary market wont purch the lean from them for lack of compairible propertys. then the lenders ask for a utility bill to verify location. is my property tax assesment not legit?

anyway. the biggest energy demands of modern life are hot water and fridges. it hasnt been warmer than 20 degrees for the past 10 days my hot water is 117 and i take showers when i desire. my fride runs on 1/125 of a watt(sorry patent pending cant say more) you fridge runs between 5.5 and 13 AMPs. these two hurdles can be solved once you location is established. ive used 14 gallons of gas in 2.5 years including construction. i havent run the gen for the past 2-3 weeks.

time to have a garage sale. and convert unnessesry items into solar pannels

ill try to post pics somewhere

peace gordo

offgrid33

@gordo – I agree, although living off grid can be rewarding it is also very expensive. Expenses seem to pop up at every turn. I look forward to seeing your pics. Cheers!

findinghaven
    Participant

hello tenderpower,

I, some of my family, and friends are looking to do the same thing. I am in the state of Washington on the west coast, and am searching for a suitable location to start here in Washington. How would you plan to contribute? do you have expectations? I would like to further this discussion elsewhere with anyone interested.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.