MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion I want to live self sufficient somewhere.. any ideas?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Cahow 4 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

MyEscape
    Participant

Hey..

So my plan is to go living somewhere peaceful where I can grow my own vagetables and have animals and so on.

And my girlfriend want to come also but only on one condition, which is that she can be an English teacher.

so I am searching a place where the ground is cheap and good and where there is not too many rules or taxes and so on.

And there should be some kind of school. Doesn’t matter if it’s small local or a school in a big city nearby..

I have thought about Cambodia because it should be very easy to get citizenship, and there are not so many rules and so on, and then is very cheap to live there and buy some ground and they have request for English teachers there.

Any other suggestions?

I would like also to look some documentaries about different countries for compare which is better, so is there someone that know a good travel serie or documentary serie about all the countries? most of all countries in Asia and other countries similar: this is important that they are mentioned in the serie.

any ideas?

I tried already “Globe trekker/pilot guides” which I didn’t like so much. it seems old and bad quality and there was no information about the countries that i needed. There was more turistic information just.

Cahow
    Participant

MyEscape: this is an honest answer to you. Why not do volunteer work, the two of you, in an area of the world that English teachers are begged to help? These areas are usually very off grid, you could research the countries while doing good for mankind, and you’d get a place to stay and food, plus the following: The Peace Corps offers standard federal employment benefits, such as competitive salaries, 13 vacation days (extended to 19.5 days after just three years of service), 13 days of sick leave, a wide choice of life and health insurance options, retirement benefits, and tax-deferred savings plan similar to a 401(K) savings plan.

If I were young and mobile and not married, I’d for sure use this as a tool to check out other places on the planet.

Dustoffer
    Participant

Yeah, go to Cambodia!  That is a great idea!

MyEscape
    Participant

Cahow

I have already looked for some volunteer work but they all cost lots of money for just few weeks..

Is there any companies or websites you can suggest?

Cahow
    Participant

MyEscape: If you’re looking at Volunteer Work that requires YOU to pay them, then you’re looking at the WRONG thing! I’ve done volunteer work my entire life for tons of organizations, big and small, and I’ve never paid one penny to do so. Your T.I.M.E. is what you pay them, and the EXPERIENCE you gain is your payment! I recommended the Peace Corp; did you check it out? Read my above post for the benefits.

MyEscape
    Participant

I have been searching for “the Peace Corp” on google and I found these:

http://community.peacecorpsconnect.org/

http://www.ifrevolunteers.org/lp/newlp/002a.php?gclid=CMCj8v2j1rYCFeV8cAodNXAA3g

which one is it? if its not one of there can you then send me the correct link to the website?

Cahow
    Participant

MyEscape
    Participant

I wanted to aplicate on there site here:

https://sjobs.brassring.com/1033/ASP/TG/cim_home.asp?partnerid=25332&siteid=5286

but they write this:

“Please Note: To be eligible for service, you must be at least 18 years of age and a U.S. citizen. ”

and I am from Denmark.. does that mean that I cant do voluntary work for them?

because I am not U.S. citizen

Cahow
    Participant

Sorry, I can’t aid you any longer. NO WHERE in your posts did you mention that you’re from Denmark and NOT a U.S. citizen. I know nothing about International Volunteer sites. I suggest you find a site closer to home that knows your laws and services.

MyEscape
    Participant

okay thanks anyway

dacy
    Participant

Hi MyEscape,

I share your vision. I want to live a simple off grid life in a warm climate far away from the “rat race”. In 2007 I bought some land beside a small fishing village with a good beach on the island of Santiago in Cape Verde.

I am looking for a small number of like minded people to form a small community to live without utility bills.

dacy@btinternet.com

MyEscape
    Participant

dacy

I have send you a email

rollins
    Participant

Have you considered Puerto Rico? It is part of the U.S. so you don’t need a passport. Plenty of land where you can have all sorts of animals, and taxes are very low. They are always looking for qualified and licensed English teachers. The people are very friendly. And it is tropical! lol

gomez687
    Participant

I have already looked for some volunteer work but they all cost lots of money for just few weeks..

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Why would anyone pay to volunteer??? How do places charge money to volunteers? Makes no sense…

Wretha

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.