MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Hello everyone

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Riverrat 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

SloManDave

Just dropping by and saying hi to everyone. ATM i do not live off the grid. I Do though want to live off the grid. I have been watching a lot of youtube video’s LaMar Alexander and others have put up and i would love to move out of my mobile home in a city and out into the country.

I was born and raised on a ranch, cows,chickens,pigs etc and for the last 12 years have been stuck in a mobile home. Its been driving me nuts lol. Too many people too close etc I am sure a lot of people know exactly what i am talking about. Not to mention the fact fruits and veggies bought in the store taste horrible compared to home grown stuff.

So i thought i would drop in here and introduce myself.. Name is Dave and i am 36 I live in San luis obispo California. Nice to meet everyone .

Cheers

Dave

P.s biggest issues i have had is type of lot.. Need something with trees, preferably some sort of water (stream,creak etc) and a place that i can raise chickens,rabbits,goats etc. without neighbors bitching about the smell/noise etc.

Riverrat
    Participant

How many people do you have in your family? If it’s just you, this may be easier than you think. I don’t know what your investment capabilities are (as in how much money you can come up with to seek your dream) but depending on your space needs and such there are certainly ways to reach your goals.

Look into micro homes. LaMar Alexander has a good site and some good books that will help you out. He may even be a part of this site if I recall correctly. His site is simple solar homesteading. Look into other methods of obtaining land (California has insane land costs).

Like this:

http://slo.craigslist.org/for/3131753136.html

2.5 acres of land for sale for $5000. If it’s useable land you can invest into that. Put a $2000 cabin on it, and get started. For $7000 (likely closer to 8 ot 9)you are ready to go. 2.5 acres intelligently laid out and designed is perfect to supply a small family.

I am simplifying, but I think to follow your dreams it’s best to start small and work your way up. Starting small makes the steps forward much easier.

SloManDave

Well i am single so all i need is enough for just me. as for Money.. Well that is a big hurdle.

I have seen some really nice land places online.. But usually there is a issue with price (50-100k) or there is a issue with building codes etc. IE lot for sale 1 acer but you can only build a house with 900-1000+ Sqft. No animals Home owners ass dues etc etc etc etc.

Thanks for letting me know about that Craigslist property. One thing about CA valley (where the guy has his property). Finding water is next to impossible and ontop of that its been getting harder and harder for those people who do have wells to get water.

Its interesting, a lot of the “good spots” what i think of good land that is, seems to have been bought up by “investors” who do nothing with the land but resell it for 10-20k more then they bought it for. its quite depressing.

Riverrat
    Participant

Always keep in mind there are also established off grid communities in place in California, New Mexico, Arizona, etc. The catch is, you just have to do your part and earn your keep. Some of them are free to get into, some of them cost money to get into. Some of them have power generation, some of them do not. For a single guy, that might not be a bad thing to get in on if you can find one that you think will work for you.

Keep in mind, the more knowledge you possess the more valuable you can be to one of these communities. If you can offer immediate work, knowledge and such, it will make becoming a part of one of these much easier. Stufy study study, and learn all you possibly can.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.