MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion food – storing bones for stock

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  roadrunner 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

tompoe

I’m looking for how to store butchered turkey bones to use for stock, when I don’t have a freezer to store them. Any suggestions appreciated.

Last year, I bought 5 turkeys at $.39/lb and butchered them, wrapped and froze the meat. This year, I want to store the bones, and run a stock pot on the stove, adding bones as needed. But, I don’t have room to store the bones in my freezer.

elnav

Wretha had an article about canning cheese and meat a couple of months ago in off-grid 101 forum. If turkey meat can be canned so can turkey bones but you must cut them short enough to fit the container. Fish and game meat is also routinely canned up north so it should not be a problem with bones and marrow. For stock use I assume you would leave some of the meat attached to bones.

roadrunner

I thought you could make yourself up a big batch of stock with the bones and then can your stock in sealers.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.