MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Drought and where to buy / live ?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  elnav 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

centralpafarm
    Participant

Drought and where to buy / live ?

We are seeing the drought spread across the USA but the regions east of the great lakes seem to always get good summer rains. Where are you seeking to live or buy land? Calif is fighting for water and many areas like Texas are going without. The great NE USA has wonderful cheap land like NY state etc etc and with a potential global warming era being up north is not so bad. Besides you can use greenhouses to add many months to growing food. The winters allow you to freeze ice for the summer. Where are you heading ? ? ? ………………..

centralpafarm
    Participant

SEE LINK WHICH BACKS UP WHAT I AM SAYING = https://www2.ucar.edu/sites/default/files/news/2010/pdsisc-method%3D2-2000-09%2B2030-39%2B2060-69%2B2090-99v2corrected.png

THE LINK SHOWS WHERE ITS SUPPOSE TO GET DRYER

caverdude
    Participant

Texas is not in a drought condition this year yet.. It was last year, but not this year yet.

Riverrat
    Participant

I’m staying in Alabama, very temperate, and with even a crappy greenhouse you can grown nearly anything year round, and rarely have water issues. Dealing with the heat is the challenge, but my long term goal is earth sheltered housing to solve that issue.

elnav

Today I saw an article by a scientist by name of Hansen who stated the drought pattern (theory) is now supported by statistics not just theories. I have seen other articles that indicates we will see climate regions suited to prairie land shift northward. In the longer term this suggest that people looking for lower cost land should be looking at northern regions not southern regions that are are already seeing great heat periods and sometimes water shortages.

I live so far north that if I flew directly west I would land in Alaska. While it is true we have a short growing season we have long sunlight hours in summer. Nightfall only happens at 10:00 PM – 11:00 PM and sunup is around 4:30 AM.

Solar panels definitely must have trackers for best effect. Most people around here have thriving vegetable gardens and the addition of a small green house means we can even grow tomatoes. Berry plants do quite well. I even know someone who has managed to grow a peach tree.

And as Centralpafarm says you can grow your own ice blocks in winter then store them for summer in a hay insulated barn. This was the normal way of doing it before electricity came along. Lots of properties nearby sell for less than $50,000

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.