MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion do you need an address?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  RockHillPhil 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

hempjeebis
    Participant

Im planing to go off grid in the future. My plan is to buy land and build a small cabin. my question is, if i live in a cabin year round would i need an address? Or could i just get a PO Box?

oh and another question, living in a cabin full time. is their any codes or laws that require you to have an indoor shower or running water?

mamos
    Participant

Hi hempjeebis

We don’t have an address where we live but we use a family member as a postal address.

We also run a business so a lot of our post goes to there.

Not having an address can sometimes cause problems to your credit rating but you may have to live with it.

mamos

skippy

are you intending trying to get planning permission for cabin?.if so then all normal building regs will be needed,but im not sure that thay can make you have running water.but if you install a system then it will need to meet regs.

hempjeebis
    Participant

Thanks for the replys:)

RockHillPhil

Hey I live in a part caravan part shed under the guise of mobile home. According to planning law a mobile home is 66ft x 22 with a floor to ceiling height of not more than 10ft that is capable of being moved when assembled.The fact this cannot be moved on the road at this scale implies sectional construction. My shed bit is pallets from the business next door these are 7m x 2m and three make a 23ft x 7ft space. The rules for building regs do not apply to mobile homes other than LPG regs. or any services that you may have installed such as mains power will need to meet specs.All electric is regarded as temporary so needs to meet much lower standards and if like mine it is all solar and inverter then it is outside regs.

All my water is rain from the shed roof and stored in tanks then filtered. I have a septic tank and flushing loo, though I also have and prefer my soil toilet which offers better views of the surrounding countryside. I have planning consent for two mobile homes on the land and so could construct another similar dwelling should I so desire.

It will all depend on the local regulations and whether or not your local authority are a bunch of gits or like mine, very nice people who didn’t want me to cause them a headache, which I would have done if they refused me permission. Offer to pull down the town hall if they take away your land. It will involve the risk of imprisonment but would leave them with something of a historical legacy that would remind everyone how callous they are as planners for heaving you onto the roadside. Otherwise a flat bung of around £5k does the trick with some councils, or you could offer to build a road or a park or similar like supermarkets allegedly do.

You may think I jest but this is a synopsis of my journey to off grid heaven.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.