MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums Food DIY bread and biscuit mixes

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  eldrinechurch 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

http://simplelivingathome.blogspot.com/2012/01/homemade-bread-flour.html

Homemade Bread Flour

If you enjoy making homemade bread like I do, then here is a quick tip.
    For each cup of All-Purpose flour add 1 teaspoon of Wheat Gluten To make your own homemade bread flour. Happy Baking!

1x1

http://www.goinghometoroost.com/2011/cooking-ideas/homemade-biscuit-mix/

Homemade biscuit mix (American shortbread type biscuits/baking mix, not cookies)

I love to have ready-made mixes for baking on hand, but I don’t enjoy unnecessary ingredients and preservatives found in store-bought mixes. For every boxed food mix out there, there is a homemade alternative. From muffins to pancakes, cakes to cookies, hot cocoa to biscuits, there are alternatives that we can make at home, thus controlling the ingredients we feed ourselves and our families.

I have tried a few different recipes, and ended up taking the best parts of a few different mixes. This recipe for anytime biscuit mix can be kept in the refrigerator for 6-8 weeks – or up to four months if you choose vegetable shortening instead of butter (I prefer butter). Use this mix in place of your average brand-name biscuit/baking mix, and just add milk to have fresh biscuits in 8-10 minutes.

Biscuit mix for storing:

12 cups of flour (white or whole wheat)
    6 tablespoons baking powder
    2 tablespoons of salt
    1 cup of butter (6 – 8 weeks of storage) OR 2 cups of shortening (for up to 4 months of storage)
    optional: 1/4 cup sugar (if you like sweeter mixes, or plan to use for pancakes)

To mix:
    Start by sifting dry ingredients together in a large bowl. I use a bowl with an air-tight lid, so I can store the mix in the same container.

Cut in butter or shortening – I used a fork for this step. Mix well.

To bake biscuits:

Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F. Stir together 2 cups of mix with 2/3 cup of milk. Roll out dough and cut biscuits, or simply use the drop-biscuit method (just a drop of dough on your baking sheet).

Bake biscuits for 8 minutes.

To make pancake batter:

Stir two cups of mix with 1 cup of milk and two eggs. Heat a skillet on medium heat with a bit of butter for greasing, and pour batter into pan. When bubbles rise to surface of batter, it’s time to flip! Cook until both sides are lightly browned.

beast
    Participant

my fav breadmix. i use it for camping and around home:
    4 c flour
    4 t baking powder
    4 pinches salt

mix this together good and store in a water proof bag or container
    when you need it add 1 egg to the whole mix
    or just enuff water to use a bit of the mix

it works with or without the egg
    mix it soupy for a flour tortilla or pancake or for dipping a hot rock into it to make a japoti
    mix it stiff for bisquits crackers fried bread or pizza crust
    just roll out thin and use as you like
    its a truly versatile bread

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Great recipe beast! Thanks for sharing…

One question, you make it soupy for tortillas? I make tortillas and I have always made the dough stiff, how do you do it with a soupy mix?

Wretha

beast
    Participant

pour it in a hot fry pan and let it cook…lol
    nice quick and easy tortillas

btw they arent thin tortillas, kinda on the fluffy side

beast
    Participant

i forgot to add that sometimes i add whole corn to the mix and make corn fritters
    ive also added boiled eggplant for eggplant fritters
    it is a very versatile recipe, let me know if you come up with any good alterations :)

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

I use a dry tortilla mix, just add water, sometimes I add yeast to it and make a thicker flat bread, to that I might add chopped rosemary or I might make it sweet with cinnamon and sugar, I’d bet that would work with your recipe as well.

Wretha

eldrinechurch
    Participant

Trademark and register ideas so you can have your own product and brand name following the details and ingredients with your own creation. It is best that every product has its own unique brand name, it is also a way to promote your business identity.

Regards.
    Eldrine, check me at http://eatmywords.com/services/consulting/.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.