MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Deep cycle battery, boiling?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  szilagyic 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

szilagyic

Hello:

I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this… but I have a question on deep cycle batteries. Specifically, I have one attached to a Basement Watchdog backup sump pump, which is a deep cycle battery that needs to be topped off occasionally. The control unit regularly charges the battery, and over the past year I’ve noticed that the battery boils a lot. In fact, I have to frequently add water to it, and on two occasions one of the cells was dry. This last time when I filled it, I noticed the battery became very hot, to the point that steam was coming out of the vents. Is this the sign of a bad battery, or does it sound like the control unit is overcharging the battery?

I have contacted the manufacturer of the Basement Watchdog and they suggested taking in the battery to be load tested. I tested the acid levels and one of the cells is low, others are fair and one is good.

Thank you very much!

Chris

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.