Off Grid Home Forums Technical Discussion Custom Water Purifier with Berkey filter ?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Spit

for a while now i’ve been trying to decide between a terracotta water filter and a berkey. i don’t like drinking out of plastic or stainless steel.

i think a good compromise would be to use a berekey filter in a homemade vessel.

I’m thinking of asking a potter if it’s possible to make me a container that could house a berkey filter.

before i ask them i just wanted to know if you folks think it would work and what the design would be…

i’m guessing all i need are two similar sized containers, one with a hole in the bottom and the other with a hole for the spout?

what do you guys think?

spit

You can make it in just about any design you want, just depends on the size you wish to have. Don’t forget to include the spigot on the bottom vessel.

Just curious, I can understand not wanting to drink out of plastic, but why not stainless steel? It’s inert and easy to clean…

We use a Berkey Light and love it, our water is pretty good to begin with, it’s well water and tastes great right out of the ground, but I can detect a slight difference with my Berkey. Honestly the only reason I use it is because we have a water tank, I don’t trust the water after being stored in that.

Wretha

Anonymous
    Inactive

Home made Berkey water filter:

I found a Beverage Cooler (BPA free) at Walmart, just the right set up. With a top section and a bottom and the piece that it sits in was the lid. Each have a round mark in the center about the right size for the filter stem. I used gradually increasing drills to drill holes in both pieces. Then I pried the plastic cap off the bottom of the filter. Cut it down, used food silicone to add 5″ top piece.

lisie_loo, and anyone else contemplating doing this, please make sure the silicone you are using is really food safe, the best thing to do is to get some that is made for fish tank use. We found out the hard way that many manufacturers put arsenic in their silicone to keep mold and mildew from growing, even if it says 100% silicone, the only way to know for sure is to get the kind that can be used on fish tanks.

Wretha

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.