MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Container House Off Grid Living

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  elnav 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Vogue

I’m new to this website, but absolutely love the idea of living off grid. For the last few years, I’ve been thinking about using shipping containers for housing. I own some land in the Bahamas and would like to build a container complex (four 40′ containers making a square with a large open area in the middle). These containers would be raised about 8 feet off the ground on steel or concrete pilings because this area is flood prone during hurricanes. The open area of the square would be metal grating with a drop down stairway that could be raised and secured when you’re away. The entire complex would be run by solar and/or wind power, use self composting toilets, and utilize a cistern for drinking water. All the building material could be packed in the shipping container, then dropped and built on site. My question is: How can I get engineering/architectural data that would allow a building permit to be issued? The authorities in the Bahamas are not very creative and don’t like new concepts. Does anyone know how I would get this to work?

jetsetjason
    Participant

sounds like it would be hot in such a container, perhaps you should look into the history of the bahamas and construct a ‘traditional’ dwelling, using local materials, these things are often better suited to the situation than modern dwellings

fogs
    Participant

You may find information online at ‘container city’ a 6 story container home/work complex close to London Docklands.

johnsimmis
    Participant

Building with containers is worth taking a look at if you are contemplating a new home.

Good resource is the Residential Shipping Container Primer website. A DO IT YOURSELF (DIY) REFERENCE AND FOR CONVERTING RECYCLED INTERMODAL CARGO SHIPPING CONTAINERS INTO BUILDINGS AND ARCHITECTURE.

Lots of example buildings, details, facts, and links to other articles. They have something new that you can setup your own project wiki to get help with your project if you are considering a design build project.

elnav

Special purpose containers are also very handy. A relative bought one of the reefer units with built in generator /refrigerator power units. This was one of the 53′ long units now permitted on the highways. It served admirably as a car garage for her racing mustang and a shop at one end on their off-grid property. Total cost was less expensive than building a garage plus being a shipping container did not need a building permit. It is classed as temporary and portable thus not included in building code regulations.

Take note all you people complaining about building inspectors! You simply inform the bureaucrats it’s a tool storage unit. If you happen to chose to bunk in a tool shed that’s your business.

kathleenp980
    Participant

Thanks you for the post.

watch free movies online

kathleenp980
    Participant

Thanks you for the post.

http://moviesonlineworld.com

caverdude
    Participant

I think shipping container housing is a great idea for lower skilled construction. I have also been looking into this for underground earth roofed construction. By underground I don’t mean below grade, but bermed and sod covered with about 6″ of soil. For example set 2, 53 foot containers 16 feet apart and use wooden beams or metal I beams to span between them, set 2 feet apart. This would form the center roof support for the main living area. Windows all the way down between the beams on each side for sun lighting. Berm the outsides of the containers on each one. Stick frame or block the ends of the center area. A couple of doors on the containers for access from the inside of the center area. This would give aproxamately 1500 ft2 of floor space.

http://larrydgray.net

http://larrydgray.wordpress.com

elnav

Great idea!! Cousin bought a 53′ reefer c/w genset etc. Half is the workshop and half is the garage for her Shelby Mustang. At the time she was already living off grid so she needed a self contained shop with power.

Locally the grow ops love them. The steel structuree tends to muddle the infra red signature so the police helos can’t spot them with their infra red cameras. Too many of the open air grow ops are being spotted from aircraft surveillance. Even green houses tend to radiate too much heat. Everybody uses the containers for storage so what’s a few more? < smile>

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.