MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Christians needed to set up an off-grid community in Christchurch

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  elnav 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

jswgracetv
    Participant

Hi, my husband, two over 18-year-old sons and myself are moving into a farm (14 acres) at Prebbleton Christchurch this month. Our aim is to set up an off-grid community. All like-minded Christians who have skills are welcomed to contact Julie on 021-065-0934 or write to jswgracetv@gmail.com. Thanks.

jswgracetv
    Participant

This farm’s got a house, aquestrian training tracks and 19 stables which we’re considering to convert into accommodation. It has accommodation & business potential. Our other block of bareland (15 acres) which situated near the farm has templeton moderately deep silt loam and has vegetation potential. We hope that Christian people who have skills and share the vision of setting up a self-sufficient community through living & working together. Even folks who have their own jobs are welcomed if only they can contribute in the weekends.

Andy
    Participant

Hello my name is Andy. I am a 25 year old German. I studied sustainable Energy technologies and am looking for a project. Your project looks just like what I am searching for. But it fills me with sadness that I won’t be able to take part in your community. Because I can’t say I am a Christian. I am not very religious and my parents where Jewish.

Is there a chance to take part in your project as a non-Christian?

Bye for now

Andy

jswgracetv
    Participant

First of all, we don’t mind Jews joining us. Also, at the moment there are only four of us who are completely hopeless about farming, will you be able to assist us to set up a self-sufficient farm, like growing veges & fruit trees, raising chickens and cattles etc? How long will you be able to stay with us?

jswgracetv
    Participant

Hi Andy, Jews are welcomed to join us (four of us, not a community yet). But we need to know more about your project. Thanks.

david1979
    Participant

good move

elnav

jswgracetv

How goes your plan to start a community? I have begun a new thread on starting a community and would welcome your input.

elnav

Your choice of thread subject line suggest your intended community would have a Christian focus. Would you care to elaborate on how this would differ from other Christian focused communities that no longer form sustainable groups

The mennonites and Amish are perhaps best known for being a theology directed community. Even so within these groups there is a wealth of diversiy and schisms that have led to the division of the originaal founding colony. Sadly some of these divisions have led to heartbreak and strife even within families.

What lesson can be learned from past experience? Obviously a basic desire to succeed is not sufficient. Nor is it a case of the members simply losing faith either in their theology or the basic goals of the founding community.

The list of communities that did not survive beoynd one generation from the beginning is so long I lost count. I am seriously wondering if it might be easier to start with an existing and viable community, then converting them to the idea of going off grid. This in contrast to beginning a community from scratch focused on going off-grid from the get go.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.