MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Can’t find financing for an off the grid home

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  whiteschmuck 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

whiteschmuck

All – I’m seeking financing for a home off of the electric grid. It’s not far from the silicon valley and so far my mortgage broker has not found an underwriter for the property due to the electricity issue. I love the home and the property and would very much like to make this my first home. I have about 4-5% to put down and that has been the catch point. The FHA loans require power to the house.

The house requires solar which would be installed, the house needs a bit of fixing and it may also need a new well.

Possibly as much as 80K above and beyond the house price would be required. I’m really looking for a 203K rehab loan on a property that is off the grid in the San Francisco bay area.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

sisterpine

Greetings from Montana. Had the same problem myself in the past. Recently refinanced our off grid home through Northwest Farm credit Services. They also got hung up on the solar panel thing but it turned out their only real worry was that we would lose power. So having a back up genny large enough to handle all of our power needs apeased them and we were granted a mortgage at a decent rate. Hope this helps. Kathleen

whiteschmuck

That DOES help. Thank you. May I ask what percentage you put down?

Anyone else?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.