Media Workers and TV Researchers - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Anyone in Chocise County Arizona?

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    bwingler
    Participant

On our paper work the only restriction is no pig farms or junk yards, other then that its pretty wide open. Chocise county did require a building permit and inspection. But being off grid we didnt have to have electrical or plumbing.

Ranger

From your post it looks like there is no cell phone service out there.

Im getting a few parcel #s in the morning to check with the ADWR on the nearest

water wells and depths. Trying to get 2 36acre parcels next to eachother. Theyre checking but not sure if there are any 2 together at this point

desert deb
    Participant

Verizon works pretty good out here several towers scattered around. I have wireless with them and it works well unless we are fighting wind, much the same with all of them where thats concerned. Valley telecom works out here too. Phone cable wireless available with them.

Hello, recently bought 8.88 acres southwest of McNeal in Cochise. I’m off the grid. I contacted the county building inspector for feedback on using a recycled grain bin for a home. That appears to be ok. I’ve heard that one does not have to do septic or electric if off the grid. I had tried to contact the health department for information on septic but they are always out in the field and the email I recieved was rather curt. I had wanted to do a compost toilet but I was told I could not. I would like to drill my own well without having to go through years of paperwork. Any information, suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated.

desert deb
    Participant

There is a classification called ru4 i think that is what you are asking about. Dont know a lot about it but a realter should be sble to tell you if you cant get thru to county office. I would ask them also about compost toilet, i dont know why that would be disallowed. Recycled grain bin can be nice home. Saw one used at dancing rabbit eco villiage, probably could see on there site.

bwingler
    Participant

When we built 3 years ago we had to have the building inspected and was told we could use a composting toilet unless they changed since then.

Brightwind
    Participant

Been watching this site for a long time and I’ve never seen anyone address a particular problem when buying land. Before buying, one should always make sure that the mineral rights are yours. It does no good to buy land and find out later that someone else holds the mineral rights. They can do anything they wish on your land. Also wells and flowing water are great but you need to consider how secure that water is. Nothing is to stop Joe Sixpack living 10 miles away from sucking the groundwater below your well depth or polluting your stream.

desert deb
    Participant

There is some guarantee here with water because no more commercial water permits available here only residential,that helps. I dont know much about mineral rights but i think mining rights might be more of an issue here and lotsa property here sells with rights included. I suppose it depends on what you intend to do with it. Most of the new housing ground around here has been divided up from large personal estates due to deaths in large pioneering families around this area. You should be able to find out about your mineral or mining rights at time of purchase or from your deed, again check with your realtor they can research that. We do have county officials that would control polluting. I think it would take only a phone call.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.