MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums First Aid Alternative deodorant that works

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  WrethaOffGrid 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

It’s something most of us need, I understand there are a lucky few who don’t have BO, I’m certainly not one of those! This spring, when the weather began warming up, I noticed my crystal deodorant wasn’t working as well as it had in the past. I remembered reading about people using milk of magnesia (aka MOM) as a deodorant, I gave it a try and it worked!

A few days ago I got a job cleaning up a 5th wheel trailer that has been sitting empty since I cleaned it over a year ago, at least this time there were fewer mouse turds… it was hot, dirty work, I used the MOM before I left and when I got back, even though I was dirty from top to bottom and I sweated like a Sus scrofa domesticu, my pits were odor free.

It’s cheap, it dries fast, it doesn’t seem to irritate even sensitive skin, it doesn’t leave a white residue on your skin or your clothes, and best of all, it works!

Oh, almost forgot, you don’t drink it to get the deodorant effects, you apply it to your arm pits. I am looking at my empty roll on deodorant bottles, I should be able to remove the ball, clean it up well, pour in some MOM, re-seat the ball and be good to go.

Has anyone here used MOM as a deodorant?

Wretha

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Finally got one of my empty deodorant/antiperspirant bottles apart, the first bottle was destroyed by PB, he tried smacking the bottle with a rubber mallet thinking that would pop the ball out… nope, all it did was break the bottom of the bottle. I used that bottle as a test to see if I could get the ball out, it didn’t matter if I destroyed the ball or the top of the bottle.

I ran hot, very hot water over the top of the bottle and ball, it quickly softened the plastic bottle, I was able to pry the ball out with a knife with very little deformation of the plastic (bottle), what little deformation did happen was easily pushed back into place by keeping it under the hot water and rubbing the spot where it was sticking out slightly, it went right back into place.

Now that I knew it could be done, I grabbed another deodorant/antiperspirant bottle, this one still had some product left in it, but I had no intentions of ever using it, I didn’t mind pouring it out. I did the same process with the hot water and the ball popped right out. I emptied the remaining product, cleaned and rinsed the bottle & ball very well. I shook out as much of the water as possible, then filled it nearly full with milk of magnesia (MOM), I felt like there needed to be a little head room left in the bottle so that I could shake the MOM each time before use. I tried it out on the back of my hand, the MOM came out just fine, I think what I’ll have to do is lightly apply it to my underarms, a little bit goes a LONG way.

I’ll post another followup after I take a shower and use this, I think it will work just fine, the only potential problem I see is it does apply a LOT of MOM, the only problem with that is the drying time, you need to let this dry before dressing, so we’ll see how it works.

BTW, using MOM as a deodorant is working out just fine, it hasn’t let me down yet, including when I cleaned a 5th wheel travel trailer last week, it was hot, dusty, nasty work, but my arm pits had no odor :)

Wretha

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.