Meet the Cultural Creatives –one of their main characteristic is that they feel alone, so don´t talk about their beliefs, apart from to their closest group of friends.
The below characteristics were identified as qualities of a Cultural Creative. Agreement with 10 or more indicates status as a Cultural Creative according to sociologist Paul H. Ray and psychologist Sherry Ruth Anderson
- love of nature and deep caring about its preservation, and its natural balance.
- strong awareness of the planet-wide issues (i.e. climate change, poverty etc.) and a desire to see more action on them
- being active themselves as well (e.g. cradle2cradle principle)
- willingness to pay higher taxes or spend more money for goods if that money went to improving the environment
- heavy emphasis on the importance of developing and maintaining relationships
- heavy emphasis on the importance of helping others and developing their unique gifts
- volunteer with one or more good causes
- intense interest in spiritual and psychological development
- see spirituality as an important aspect of life, but worry about religious fundamentalism
- desire equality for women/men in business, life and politics
- concern and support of the wellbeing of all women and children
- want politics and government to spend more money on education, community programs and the support of a more ecologically sustainable future
- are unhappy with the left and right in politics
- optimism towards the future
- want to be involved in creating a new and better way of life
- are concerned with big business and the means they use to generate profits, including destroying the environment and exploiting poorer countries
- unlikely to overspend or be in heavy debt
- dislike the emphasis of modern cultures on “making it” and “success”, on consuming and making money
- like people, places and things that are different or exotic
So it is good for those of us who identify with the characteristics of the cultural creatives to see that we are not alone in our views and understanding of the world.
This film sums up the most encouraging research into population and cultural trends.
Buy our book - OFF THE GRID - a tour of American off-grid places and people written by Nick Rosen, editor of the off-grid.net web site
Leave a Reply