Media Workers and TV Researchers - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Would anyone live without electricity?

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    david1979
    Participant

oh, I can’t live wihtout electricity

days wihtout electricity will be bland and boring

WrethaOffGrid
    Participant

Ohhhhh David, bland and boring? I think, that you think you would be sitting around twiddling your thumbs with nothing to do all day… that is incorrect, if we didn’t have electricity, then our lives would be very different, you wouldn’t have time to be bored, you would be living life like your ancestors lived, hunting, gathering, farming… no or little refrigeration means canning and dehydrating your food to last the winter, getting from point A to point B would require either people power (bicycles or on foot) or animal power (horses, carts…)

I think life without electricity would be very different, but boring would probably not describe it. :)

Wretha

Dustoffer
    Participant

I wouldn’t want to live without my loud electric guitars!!!

Must have high gain feedback and sustain.

Must feel the wind from my big speakers.

Pure sinewave power, can’t last long without it!!!

tenantfile

In big metro city it is really not possible to live.Even most of the work are done by electricity.It seems life so boring without this.

elnav

Electricity is only one form of energy but it is the most versatile and convenient method of transport and conversion to useful work. Tenantfile is right, inside a big city it is almost impossible. In many cases any attempt to use alternatives runs afoul of some bylaw or other. I have reached the conclusion that electricity is potentially the cleanest and most versatile form of energy so we should make the best of it. I can just hear someone object to me saying electricity being the cleanest. I was not refering to any specific method of power generation. Just because some utilities choose to use a source that does pollute does not means all of them do. Hydro-electric power uses the falling of water as the motive force. Wind power uses the wind and solar uses sunlight. When you include the method of creating the devices to generate electric power water and wind comes out the cleanest followed by the sun. Any other method comes a distant fourth. If anyone wonders why I said th4e sun comes third look here:

https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2008/03/the-ugly-side-o.html

Wind and water power has been in use for several thousand years. The ability to generate electricity from these meant that for the first time we could use that power in a location away from flowing water or blowing wind.

if I could be assured of a place near these natural power sources then I might consider doing without electricity. However the reality is there are too many people all wanting to live in the same place as I; so I must compromise and this will require sone energy, likely in the form of electricity.

UnhookedLiving
    Participant

I have lived without electricity and would do it again. I wonder how the comments would change if the question was: If living without electricity would allow you to meet life goals, would you do it?

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.