Off Grid Home Forums Technical Discussion Woodburning stoves

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Khahani987
    Participant

I come across so much scrap wood for nothing on my travels, though it is mostly softwood, which tends to burn too quickly. How could this design be adapted to suit my requirements, Suggestions please.

Ashley Madison

Khahani987
    Participant

The only thing I would mention about wood burners is – dont buy a pellet one. they’re generally designed for pellets only within fairly stringent limits. Get something that is compact and runs on woodchip. I’m trying to work out how best we can recycle the heat from the flue gases by using a heat exchanger on a modified flue. But that’ll be a complex beast – appropriate for a house (like the zenex gas saver you can get), but im not sure it’ll scale down for a van conversion which is what im working on… anyone tried this?

Buy Nature Cleanse

Khahani987
    Participant

In reply to No. 7 (Daveboat), I am not aware of any wood burning stove that will perform all of your requirements. Howeve, you can do a hell of a lot on a basic wood burning stove if you use a bit of ingenuity. If you want to bake in your stove, there are models available (can’t remember the makes and models off the top of my head)

Khahani987
    Participant

This discussion is great – I had something similar in mind in the way of wood burning, so keep the posts coming if anyone finds something. I was also thinking it would be good to get a burner that would accept used veg oil too – rather than pouring it away, and not having a converted diesel to use it, wouldn’t it make sense it burn it too? Veg oil has a pretty high calorific value, you’d have a pretty good energy output cheaply if you had a few local restaurant suppliers. Its basically recycled biodiesel – well kind of. Any thoughts on this anyone?

stoveguru

The Hobbit or Pipsqueak stoves are both multi fuel and ideal for small spaces or compact areas that need heating.

you can get them from http://www.salamanderstoves.com

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.