MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Where to start

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Cahow 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

NextGenRector
    Participant

Hello all.  I just created an account for my wife and I on this site. I thought it would be wise to try and connect with people who are living off grid. We are in the early stages off planning for how we want to live. Maybe not completely off grid but pretty darn close. Any advice from people who have done it or are doing it would be great. We just moved back in with my parents in the suburbs of northern Georgia after living near her family in Oregon for the past three years. We moved back to rid ourselves of some debt we have and to buy our land. Like I said, early stages.  The weather in Oregon isn’t ideal for us. More sun and a longer growing season here I believe. Looking forward to discussing.

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Hi NextGenRector, do what you have been doing, get out of debt and do your very best not to go into more debt. What are your skills? What are your strengths and weaknesses? Learn as much as you can about the life you are about to embark upon, the more you can do for yourself, the better off you will be, not only for doing the things you need to get done, these skills can be used for barter and pay. Just off the top of my head I think you would need to have some skills in carpentry, plumbing, electrical (AC and DC), small engine repair, welding… learn about gardening, livestock, wildcraft, cooking (from scratch), alternative medicine… you can learn from books, but nothing compares to hands on, experience far outweighs theory.

When looking for property, be sure you physically walk any land you are interested in before making any offer, NEVER purchase land sight unseen, even if it means potentially losing a great property, I can’t tell you how many people I talk to online who buy property without seeing it, then when they go there, it isn’t what they thought it would be, or even worse, it turns out to be a different place all together. When walking the land, look around at any neighbors you may have, if possible, go talk to them, be low key, don’t go in with a gung-ho attitude bragging about what you are planning on doing, be polite, ask questions but listen more than you talk, you need to gauge your potential neighbors, if would be no fun if you found the perfect property only to find out 6 months later that you have the neighbor from hell.

I’m sure there is lots more advice out there, but that’s my 2 cents.

Wretha

Cahow
    Participant

Hi NextGen: Wretha encapsulated 99% of what I’d suggest and did so, handsomely. :)

I’d also say, “press some flesh” in your research stage by actually doing Meet & Greets at workshops that interest you. Have you heard of “Tiny House Talk” by Alex Pino? I’m a regular contributor to his posts, under the same name. Although I could never in a million years restrict myself to living in an 80-100 sq.ft. home, there are also “larger” examples that he features, up to 500 sq.ft. BUT…why I mainly subscribe to his newsletter, is to see and re-use the utterly brilliant designs for “saving space” that is a must for tiny homes. I’m a builder/contractor with a landscape degree, too, so I glean incredible examples of Green Living and Space Saving from his newsletters.

They also have a great many workshops with experts and hand’s on time, so you can begin to network with folks of like mind. I highly recommend his newletters! Just type in the usual www (dot) tinyhousetalk (dot) com and it should go to his home page. VERY active membership!

Best of luck to you!

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Thank you Cahow! :)

And NextGenRector, the things I listed are by no means an exhaustive list, they are suggestions of what I think would be important to learn/know… depending on where you wish to live and how you wish to live, I’m sure there are many other skills to have… gun and knife use-safety-care, hunting, butchering, fishing, safely using a chainsaw and/or manual saws to get firewood, making and working with cob, soilcrete (that’s one of the materials we built with), food-growing, cooking, preserving, it’s always a good idea to learn the local plant life so that you will know what you can use for what purposes and what to avoid, for food, medicine and building…

Wretha

quil04
    Participant

i find while you are “in the box” is what i like to call it, I find myself using the internet to do alot of research on how to go about using different free energy ideas i find on utube. hands on is yes by far better then theory yet when acually watching video’s give’s some insight to how to go about doing practical when the time comes. By watching video’s one gets to see the trial and errors others have when experimenting in different climates and terrain. another good idea is to download viewed projects to dvd’s or  hard drives for that time you do get of the grid and need to view once again what project you seek to try.

There may be others that may disagree with me but the biggest things i look at when looking for a location to set up in is it’s security and water supply. and can i filter water if need be not only by using man made products but how could i use mother earth if my man made products fail. next i look for food supply, at the same time look to know the hazards around me, both man and mother nature. then from there i study the plant and animal life that i could become benifical for both food and medicine for future endeavors to become totally self reliant.

hopefully that give’s some insite to become a off grider lol….

Cahow
    Participant

quil04: How can anyone disagree with your comment about security and water? I joke with friend’s that I’ve never, for a day in my life, lived more than 1 mile away from a major body of water: Pacific Ocean, Mississippi River, Lake Superior and now Lake Michigan. If a Zombie attack comes, I’m hightailing it down to the Lake (1/4 mile away) and getting my water from that inexhaustible supply, ax in hand to dispatch any wayward Walkers. ;)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.