MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Where to begin

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  GreenGuy 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

RobCathyM

Hey all

I live in Pennsylvania

I have A large pond on my property, I have full Sun, I have a large field next to my property which seems to always produce wind.

I don’t know if I should try heat, electric, or both. (Maybe geothermal)

Do you go all out or is it better to build into a system.

Is home made as good as purchased.

lots of questions.

thanks

rob

Question is the beginning of knowledge so you have to take also our opinion.lol..

will it’s your choice man what to do and what you are going to choose what to use. Come what may..

http://SPORTSWATCHESFORMEN.ORG/

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

I would say that it depends on what you want to do, are you trying to power your whole house? Do you have a house already or are you going to build one? How much money do you have to spend on this? How much time do you have to devote to this? How much do you know about electrical wiring and such?

The more you can do yourself, the less expensive it will be. What I would suggest you do is try to find someone local that is doing this and visit their place, see what they are doing, try to find more than one, that way you can get an idea of what different people do with different systems. Don’t let someone “sell you a system” until you do your homework. We cobbled our system together, a few pieces at a time and it works for us, our system is small, very small, along the lines of what LaMar is doing, that makes it much less expensive, plus the fact that we did everything ourselves.

Maybe you could start out really small, power one room, get some experience and build from there.

Wretha

RobCathyM

I have acess to a machine shop, pretty good with electricity and electronics, own my home allready, am considering installing a secondary panel for my off grid work. Add to it as power levels come up. Would rather stay AC in my new panel, and am currently looking to use a water wheel to start generating. A diagram of a basic system would be great. Any ideas on how you built your water wheel. Thanks

A water wheel is a machine for converting the energy of flowing or falling water into more useful forms of power, a process otherwise known as hydropower. In the Middle Ages, waterwheels were used as tools to power factories throughout different counties. The alternatives were the windmill and human and animal power. The most common use of the water wheel was to mill flour in gristmills, but other uses included foundry work and machining, and pounding linen for use in the manufacture of paper.

foreclosure797
    Participant

water wheel is a great idea….you may also try wind mill or heat insulators…

which ever it is..all depends on your finances…

consider your money first before starting the project ;)

http://foreclosureprocesstoday.com/

jackson22
    Participant

Most veteran IT types (including me) are leery when it comes to any kind of change; even thinking about converting networks to IPv6 seems like a bone-chilling bad dream. In order to make the transformation (sorry, it’s coming) easier, I’d like to initiate a dialogue about Internet Protocol version six (IPv6). My ultimate goal is to help everyone (me too) feel comfortable with IPv6.

I’m in a bit of a dilemma though. Where should I begin? I’d really like to hear what you’re concerned about and what you’d like to see covered?

green smoothie

trammaster

You can use any resources you found close to you. it is better to use that for you to have more savings and in the case of producing home made products, I agree on that but be sure it is in good quality.

trampolines

GreenGuy
    Participant

Doing whatever you can to conserve energy is good for you, good for the environment and therefore good for all of us. There are many ways to go so I can understand being confused and needing direction what to do. The main thing is to start small. Anything you do helps. There are a lot of resources on the Internet. One website that has the latest information is http://gogreen.com-webnews.info/ You can specify any topic that interests you to get up-to-date info. Keep at it!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.