MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion What did ya do all day?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  UnhookedLiving 5 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Sylvia
    Participant

Don’t know about you guys, but when people hear we live off grid they usually say “what do you do all day?” Like somehow our day is so much different than anyone elses. So what did you do. Us, after breakfast we worked in the yard cleaning up.dead trees and limbs from winter. Hubby burnt out a fencerow while I mowed the grass. He also finished up on a welding project making a new grill – it was a good solar day to weld. I did some laundry and hung it out. Tried to call in a wild turkey but he didn’t cooperate. So we’re cooking brisket instead, with peach cobbler from peaches we canned last year. Sounds pretty normal, right? Oh yeah, and we didn’t pay an electric bill. HA.

desert deb
    Participant

I like you worked outside today. The dogs destoyed the the drive way gates exactly one after installing them so today we rebuilt them stronger better and more difficult to destroy. Not gonna hold my breath. We also filled water tank and i di a load of towels sounds normal. Tomarow finish the chicken coop, the chickens are living in the bathtub, im ready to have it back.

Dustoffer
    Participant

Well, yesterday was Easter and we cooked ham in our oven, the piezo electro propane one, not the solar one, although it was a good day for it. My son and his girlfriend came up the mountain. We jammed heavy metal in the garage while the girls cooked and gabbed.

After dinner at 3PM we watched a DVD of a 1961 Palladin episode, then some of my latest Iron Maiden DVD. All on free solar power, of course.

Previously I planted outside 5 weeks early thanks to AGW, and a lot in the Earthship. Rains coming, but the sunny days are good for solar cooking. I recently checked all the batteries and filled them. I’ve been shunting the extra power to a small electric refrigerator with 2 gallons of water to freeze. After the rains, I will take the tractor out and do the long needed driveway smoothing.

Watched new little chicks grow (they grow so fast). Went to work for (the man). Then went to work for me writing an article about quinoa for our new website. I love quinoa. My wife then then used some eggs from the homestead and made an awesome quiche. Mmmm Then browsed some forums. Building our container home soon so my days are about to be busier than this :-)

Oh and I thanked God for a great life too.

desert deb
    Participant

This was a quiet day for me, resting up for long weekend work. Not fun projects. Last weekend fixed the gates and finished the chick coop, this weekend is turning a building into a bunk house for a friend and repairing a sewer line that had to be cut when trailer was moved because it was by the wheels. Dont really use it except for sink water but would like for it to drain in one plsce instead of three so im gonna try to put the piece bsck in. Still trying to seal under trailer so this needs done before that.

Sylvia
    Participant

Come on you guys. You’re sounding way too normal. We’ve got our must be crazy to live off grid reputation to uphold. Isn’t anyone signaling the mothership or something out of the ordinary??

desert deb
    Participant

I called the dogs in for the night. Does that count? I know what you mean though, the only thing out of the ordinary for me each day is boiling water and filtering it to clean it up a little. Wouldnt have to do that if the water the fire dept brought wasnt so nasty. Gotta draw the line at leaves and bugs. Its just how i am.

ChronicTom
    Participant

I wove tagalders into pagewire fencing… is that wierd enough to count?

Sylvia
    Participant

Thought I had something that might prove what my on grid friends are saying about me being nuts. On my way to check the mailbox I thought I saw Sasquatch. Turns out it was just the guy up the road taking his semi-annual bath in the creek.

desert deb
    Participant

At least its not annual. Today is an inside day getting much needed rain. Gonna drop temp to mid thirties and then sunny tomarow and eighties again on monday. Bit of a weird weather week. So im watching rainwater collects, off grid enough for you.

madrona
    Participant

Peddled surplus eggs to neighbors, helped one of my daughters with school financial aid paperwork, took notes at a community meeting, worked on a couple of paintings, cleaned the ashes out of the woodstove, worked on a story I’m writing, cleaned some frames for the beehive, planted spinach and cilantro, tweaked my website, prepared some material for online classes I teach, split some kindling.

UnhookedLiving
    Participant

You guys are the salt of the earth. Right on.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.