MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Wanting to live off the grid in Maryland

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  adon214 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

adon214
    Participant

Hi my name is Greg. I am 29 and I am saving up to move to MD to go off the grid. Western MD to be honest. I have some friends there that i met in the navy and the town of Cumberland seems like a place i would like to call home. I have been looking at getting land in Old Town or rather anywhere in Allegheny county. I want to use solar and wind to power my home. I know i will probably have to start with a grid tied system to get started and i will add more panels later on. I want to use wood to heat my home. (Chuckles) My close friends who know my love of old vehicles and just about anything old send me photos of old pot belly stoves for my future home. I have a cabin kit in mind from Jamacia Cottages that is 408 sq ft last i recall. I want to put it on a basement foundation for ease of maint on the plumbing and if need be thawing the pipes. I also want to do a separate building for my workshop since i am into restoring and tinkering with old vehicles. Let alone all the other projects i tend to get into. Also i did plumbing, HVAC, and boiler work when i was in the navy since i was a Seabee. I’ll be living in this home by myself. Unless i meet the right gal but the dating world is not what it used to be. I guess why i am posting this is to see if there are others in the area I mentioned to meet some fellow small house/off the grid living folk like me or just some friendly advice and tips.

DEEDEE
    Participant

SO glad for you and I hope you don’t get to lonely …I am sure there are girls out there who love to live of grid…Just make sure you have always energy for your phone and maybe computer (if you have one) that’s great connection to the world ….to assure that get yourself a “Sunraiden” I have one I am very satisfied with and I like it so I tell people that live of grid….Wishing you all the best !!!!!!!keep us posted!!!!

haleyclair07
    Participant

Hi Greg i am a casting agent in LA for the FYI channel who is casting for couples/ singles/ families who are tired of the city life and want to move off the grid! If you are genuinely planning (or at least dreaming) of living off the grid in the next 1-2 years then we would love to follow your journey! Email offthegridontv@gmail.com with your bio, why you want to move off grid, and attach a few pictures! Thank you!

winter74
    Participant

Hey there Greg,  I’m currently in Cumberland MD.  Good Luck. Just so you know the Oldtown area is in Allegany County.   There is also Garrett county.  That is west of us and it would be a nice place to go off grid as well.   Another area you could check into, but it is in Allegany Co as well would be Flintstone, that is over the mountain from Oldtown.  I would pick Flintstone over Oldtown.  Well with all that being said my family and I want out of this town.  It’s just too close to D.C. for us.   We are looking to get out of this country.  Good luck with getting to Western MD.  It is beautiful here.

Alex Hopley

Interesting read…!

TheGreenGypsy
    Participant

Hi Greg,

My name is Isabel, I live in Montgomery County, MD and have been looking to go off-grid for a while now. I am 30 years old and ready to grow my own food with my organic heirloom seeds! ;-)

Please contact me at thegreengypsy05@gmail.com, I would love to share ideas and info on how to off-grid in Maryland.

-Isabel

adon214
    Participant

Thanks everyone i just now was notified on my e-mail of everyone’s replies. TheGreenGypsy Ill be sure to send you a e-mail before i hit the hay. I am looking forward to chatting with you.  winter74 Thanks for the advice and info! I will look into those areas for sure next time i visit. It is hard finding land for sale in MD all the way here in SC. I am still learning the ins and outs of land purchasing and such. DEEDEE ill try not to be lonely. My cat Piper who was a early xmas gift from my folks keeps me company a lot and watches youtube with me. I have a custom pc i built for media processing and gaming. But i will look into the sunraiden for some of my power consumption. On another note i might either the Jamacia cottage or a cabin from arched cabins. Only thing is i am unsure how the arched cabin would be with building codes up there.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.