MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion wanting to go offgrid

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Greener 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

geoff
    Participant

Hi all I am looking for information/assistance I would like to get PV panels. My circumstances are a little challenging. I live in a house which has south east facing rear – however it is a mononpitch roof with the vertical side at the rear. Is there any experience of adding PV panels on a flat vertical aspect? I do have a flat roof garage but this gets some shade and the sun goes after mid afternoon – which is the same for the vertical roof.

Any comments, suggestions warmly welcome.

sunny

I am not much help I’m afraid, as a total & ignorant newbie to this site, but I suspect that if placed on the flat garage roof, you will be better able to adjust/angle the panels throughout the year to obtain the best input. However it depends on whether the shadow from the house will fall across the garage. Also a totally random off the wall thought, no pun intended, do the panels have to be placed horizontally? if not do you have a chimney, I know this is probably a ludicrous idea, but maybe it will spark someone more qualified to help, into a sensible reply, of some use to you.

~ sunny

shayla

You can place panels on flat vertical roof or even south facing walls but you will lose some efficiency. For best results angle them to about 45 degrees in winter and lower in summer when sun is higher in sky.

One solution is to build a small shed with a south facing roof and this could house your batteries and a backup generator.

You can see a good example on this website:

http://www.freewebs.com/simplesolarhomesteading

Shayla

blueskymine
    Participant

also here is webpage that has very good discussions about batteries, etc., one of the members was talking about a forklift battery with a powerhouse:

http://www.loghomebuilders.org/battery-power

Greener
    Participant

why place them on the roof at all?

I live off the grid in Ottawa Canada, and snow is an issue…if you don’t have to place them on your roof, then why bother? I would only recommend roof mounting if you are worried about damage or have no room….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.