MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Volts?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Megawhats 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

How many volts does the average solar panel produce?

Twkwicker

I think it varies with the size of the panel. With a quick Google search, I found many from 6v on up. According to http://www.specialtyconcepts.com/solar_help.html

a typical solar panel “can produce about 16 volts and 3 amps , or 52 watts, of DC power. Other module specifications are available, and such specifications will vary between manufacturers. Solar panels, in turn, can be interconnected in series or parallel to create a solar-array and any voltage-current combination required.”

I hope this helped!

Mike Weaver

Twkwicker@gmail.com

Twkwicker.blogspot.com

krazykevin
    Participant

My average electrical use for my home is 875 kwh per month, how many volts would be needed to supply that?

Thanks Kevin

Megawhats
    Participant

Krazykevin said:

My average electrical use for my home is 875 kwh per month, how many volts would be needed to supply that?

Volts are not the most useful way to think about this kind of question, because the situation is not as simple as putting a battery in a gadget.

If your annual electricity usage is 875 kWh per month (which seems very high to me) then I take it your annual usage is 10500 kWh. Answers on the viability of solar pv depend on where in the world you live – I’m in the UK and the following is from the UK-based textbook ‘Renewable Energy’ (Boyle 2004):

“[in UK conditions] to produce 1000 kWh per year using crystalline modules [the regular sort of panel – as opposed to thin film, which are a bit better but more expensive] would require … an array area of around 9 square metres”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.