MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion UK off-gridders

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  cephalopod 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Marc_uk
    Participant

I’ve twice tried to post in the Landbuddy section and although it seems to accept the post, it isn’t displayed. I waited a few days and still not shown, so thought I’d post here.

Are there any older (I’m a fit 57) UK folks  who are off-grid or seriously want to be on here? If so I’d love to talk to you. I’m currently in the South-East but am considering possibly relocating. I’m mainly off-grid and have been for a few years. I’m not a hippy in any way, just a hard working guy who doesn’t fit in with the rat-race. I dislike much of the modern world and what we are doing to the planet.

If anyone’s interested, please leave a message here and I can give you my email. I look in to this site most days. Thanks,  Marc.

Tineoighear
    Participant

Hey Marc, I’m 45 and not off grid but would desperately love to be.  I just haven’t met like minded people, plus I don’t have much in the way of assets.   What are your plans? Nic

Marc_uk
    Participant

Hi Nic, thanks for your reply. I wrote a little about what I’m doing on Wretha’s thread which I’ll try to add a link to. You could send me a mail at mstwo99 – at – aol – dot what you might expect. Try that and I’ll tell you more.

Here’s the link (as stated above) if it works.

http://www.www.off-grid.net/forums/topic/lets-all-say-hi-to-kick-off-the-new-year/

Looking forward to chatting about things if nothing else :)

Marc

Tineoighear
    Participant

Marc I tried to email you and it bounced back.  Try me veganenvironmentalist at yahoo dot com

Edd
    Participant

27 Yorkshire, tired of rent, bills, council tax and debt. I can see a way out and it is a small parcel of land and a camper. I am a driver by profession, I’m a qualified welder and i love to restore old cars. The cars are my life

Marc_uk
    Participant

Hi Edd, yep, I fully understand. I lived in a transit van for 5 years. 4 of those were without anywhere to park it, so was just sleeping in lay-bys, on residential streets or industrial estates. I now have a bit of land but the big problem is always planning permission. I’m working my land as a horticultural holding – market garden/nursery so was able to get permission for an agricultural barn. Was living in my van on the land at first but now have a small cabin. If any neighbours find out and decide to grass on you you’ll get kicked off, so there’s no security if you’re doing it illicitly.

Edd
    Participant

I always figured the powers that be would cause me trouble, my land would be my backup, Id find places to stay allover my locale, I’m lucky in rural North Yorkshire in that way. The other plan would be buy a plot in France and repeat process over Europe, and also try network a few places together like a community. Cant you live on your land for upto 30 days before trouble happens with planning regs?

Edd
    Participant

I’m talking enough land to fit a camper on and grow some produce to eat and not a great deal more. Also have £5,000 as a figure in my head for said land

Marc_uk
    Participant

Yes, 30 day rule should make it ok. You may still get a visit from the planning dept if anyone calls them. If you can find a suitable bit of land then go for it. I did have thoughts of forming a syndicate and buying 12 pieces of land around the country to move around between, but there are various things to consider apart from finding suitable land and partners.

Good luck with it anyway, and let us know how you’re getting on.

cephalopod
    Participant

Hi Mark , this our first posting, really pleased to find that there are like minded people like us.  Live in rural Scotland, very lucky to have our own little bit of soil, slowly building up what we want, would love to hear from anyone, dedicated off-griders grow own food, both veg and animal. (not vegitarians sorry), hope to hear back. cephalopod

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.