MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Trading seeds From France

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  elnav 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

johnnymax
    Participant

I have been trading a lot of seeds at HeirloomSeedSwap.com but they have all been with other seed savers in the U.S.

I am wanting to trade seeds for some Guava Cutter seeds with a man in France. Is it legal to mail and receive seeds from another country?

Oh, and has anybody ever grown or eaten Guava Cutters. From the picture he posted they look like a pomagranet

Thnx,

Johnny Max

elnav

No it is not legal to import foreign specie of plant or animals from one continentn to another. At least no without prior authorization.

We have enough examples of invasive species of plants causing ecological damage to the local fauna and flora. During the early stages of colonization it was common practice to bring seeds from home. Now we see the results. Sometimes it is benign but just as often it has proven a disaster. for one damaging example look at the kudzu vine. Zebra mussels in the aqautic world and Milfoil plants also.

A friend in Canada is involved with a university supervised program of resurreecting a specie of sheep that is almost extinct by raising sheep (using artificial insemination) from England but this is a carefully monitored program.

The Heirloom seed group may have information on what may be acceptable seed importation.

johnnymax
    Participant

Thanks, I guess it would only be safe if you get a variety that is already here, such as a type of tomatoe, etc.

I have not traded from over seas yet and I think it would just be safer to just trade within the US

Actually I have traded so many seeds from the heirloom seed swap site that I have two boxes of seeds of all types and have more than I know what to do with. I have become a seed swap-aholic

elnav

The heirloom seed collection is an excellent & worthwhile effort. We have to guard against mono culture in both plant and animal species. Just look what happened with monoculture crops when the pine beetle population exploded. Tens of thousands of acres were devestated as the blight spread rapidly. We need to guard against the trend to mono culture for the expendiency of multinational agri businesses who seek to maximizee their profit margin at the expense of biological diversity.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.