MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion To Wanna be Off Gridders

This topic contains 34 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  gordo 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Alrod53
    Participant

You know I have been posting that I have wanted to help people go off of the grid here for two years now.

And I keep reading that some are saving and some are going to do it in a few years. I’t time to pull your heads out of the sand and wake up. Now is the time to be moving off of the grid.

The date is December 21 2012 that does not leave you much time to prepare. The sun right now has a coronal hole in it one hundred twenty thousand km. wide and a million km. long. check it out at spaceweather.com You have some good advice here from who sound like veterans on the subject and people that are already off of the grid including myself. There is never going to be a good time unless you make it a good time. A decision is not a decision until it is acted upon. Good luck. ALROD

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Amen Alrod! I feel very much the same way, I see (and hear) people saying they want to do this, they are planning on it, but aren’t really doing anything to facilitate making it happen. There seems to always be something they have to do or finish first…

I don’t know what, if anything will happen next year (Dec 2012), I do know there are a lot of crazy people in this world who just might create whatever problems may be just because they think something is going to happen.

I don’t trust the government, I don’t trust the economy, I don’t trust the general public (mob mentality). I don’t expect someone or something else to take care of me if everything goes to hell in a hand basket, I may survive, I may not, but I sure as heck have a better chance at survival living where and how I do than I would if I still lived in the city or a suburb. I would recommend to anyone who thinks they want to go off grid to just do it, make that your top priority and let nothing stand between you and your dream.

Before anyone says, that’s easy for you to say… let me tell you that we didn’t have much money, we did everything very much on the cheap, when we decided to do this, we did it, we took a leap of faith and never looked back. We are still living on a shoestring, even so, we are doing very well for ourselves on not a lot of money, it can be done.

Wretha

desert deb
    Participant

While on this subject im also curious why so many people want off grid but seem to require a community of people around them. I get that they want more experienced people around them to help them but why not learn to do for yourself. finding the right group, finding the right area, finding the right experienced people can add decades to your quest to be off grid. I am one of two women that live off grid on 30 acres and we.do for ourselves. Sure its a jungle deciding what takes priority. But we are getting better at it. And you would be amazed at the knowledge in the local hardware mans head. In the last year i have completely remodled a mobile home and now im starting on the outside. Pretty cool for someone who had never touch power tools. There has never been a better time for off grid and frankly its only a matter of time before counties and cities make changes to land rules to illiminate this option. Utility companies dont like it or they figure ways to make your solar useless for grid tied systems. My theory is it should be now or never.

northern person
    Participant

desert deb I have also wondered why its always got to be a community. I mean my closest neighbor off grid is 4 km away and he is 76 years old. We live in an extreme climate yesterday it was -34 C. Your correct goverments and municipalities are going to start putting more obstructions in the way of off grid proposals. Utilities will rise 25% by 2015 and solar will be 10 -15% cheaper by than so its getting attractive. The banks, insurance companys, utilities, will continue to screw us and feds to. Now is the time to leave it behind and live without it.

Jay
    Participant

Hello I thing I have an insight into it. I am a person who seeks social interaction and my choice to get away from the life of working and renting at exuberant prices so we are kept trapped (tied to a grid). But at the same time when it comes time to choosing land I intend to have a few people group together and all chip in and live together or near by. I feel this will allow an interaction between people in times of the year such as winter. Also it gives you a safety net in case something went wrong you have friends and neighbors to help.

What would you do if you broke your legs/arms/collar bone or had to be hospitalized around a critical time of year ? As I said before I am a social creature and I feel having people near by is in no way damaging plus you do increase your knowledge and skill base. I certainly do not intend on waiting a decade to move nor do I intend to save indefinitely. i hope this has given some insight into the minds of other individuals who think this way.

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

I don’t think anyone is saying to move off all by yourself in complete isolation, I think the point is to be as self sufficient as possible, ie not relying on someone else, it’s fine to be in a community or near other people, but if you are waiting to gather a group of people who are (hopefully) like minded to join you before you choose to live the life you want, then you might end up waiting too long.

If this is something you truly want to do, then do it, don’t wait for someone else to do it with, actively work toward making your dream come true.

Wretha

desert deb
    Participant

Im not saying it wouldnt be nice to have close neighbors, just wondering if that is a stopping point for a lot of people that want to try this. I get that its not easy. What i dont understand is why no one want to be the one to start. Is it easier to mate up a group before the move or put your plan together then look for people to partner with. If i put a group together a year ago i would have had no idea what type of people to put together. I also would have had no idea what i could do. Many state are putting subdivision rules in place for dividing out property. What happens if i want ten groups on 30 acres only to find out that there is a five acre requirement. Its something that needs looked at if people want to parcel out small acres for multiple groups of people. I do know that grouping people together can be a great help if utilies are coming in. The cost to run power back to us, maybe one mile i might add, was going to run 25 or 35000 to bring it to property line. And we had to pay 500 for each pole, and this was by a rural coop. The housing addition across the road grouped together and spit the cost to bring the power out to them, there is a benifit to a group, but i dont need power. Ill make my own. The group across the road bought their 30acre plot knowing they would be off grid, all were on solar until a home owners meeting and several decided they wanted power. Its hard to know in advance of a move like this what you need, and who you need. If you put your plan together first then you have an idea of how to help others do the same. I really feel that off grid is all about helping your neighbor.

bwingler
    Participant

My family and me have taken the plunge and decided to live off grid and start a self sufficient life style. We are doing it with a 7 year old and a 16 year old. We have planned it out tho and have been building along the way. I feel we have prepared pretty well for the change in life style. Myself and my wife are both from farms as we grew up.

We are so sick and tired of the rat race, we don’t have any faith left in the economy or goverment and feel it is time to go. We are leaving Georgia on feb 18th and driving out with everything we own. For us it is a one way trip and we have to make it work, There is nothing left here for us to return to. We have 18 days left till we depart.

We are excited and looking forward to it. We have been selling off all our non needed items, we will replace furniture once we get there, saves on moving cost lol.

Dustoffer
    Participant

Good luck, bwingler. Your wife and 16 year old will be of great help. My wife and son were great helpers back from ’97 to 2000 when I built my solar home, addition and Earthship. I just expanded my roof top solar on the garage with a 70 watt panel $129.50 shipped! Got another one 30 watt coming to expand the Earthship system, $55.40 shipped! It is a great time to go off grid and solar!

elnav

I am curious how many of the people expressing a wish to start a new community for off-grid people have any background in sociology. I am at present reading a book ( 508 pages) detailing the history of pioneer days and before with specific emphasis on the dynamics of the social culture of various peoples beginning with aboriginal people right up to about 1981. The book includes an analysis why various etnic groups suceeded or failed. All of them began with the premise they shared something in common; be it language, religion or simply ethnic background. All of them left established society with the intent to live away from the existing society (old off-grid concept)

psimation
    Participant

We’re off grid. The good news is, we got everything paid off. The bad news is, now we’re both handicapped. Barely able to maintain our critters and the 20 acre farm. We have the knowledge, materials, and the tools, just lacking in ability to do much.

Looking for help in return for help.

http://www.poohcornersfarm.blogspot.com

Mbarrow
    Participant

One question I have is in order to be off grid do you need to purchase your own land or is there land that is almost public in a way because that seems to be the biggest hurdle in going off grid is acquiring land and financials to pay the property taxes that would come with it I currently am a firefighter in Illinois and would love to go off grid and leave this corrupt world behind also does anyone know if there is any off grid communities in Illinois I could visit an get some experience an pointers.

centralpafarm
    Participant

Hey there poohbear you have a nice place there. I can’t believe some young healthy people are not jumping at the idea of moving there. It seems todays youth are wimps.

Here is my site with my work.. i too am seeking a helper.

http://directory.ic.org/22661/Central_Pa_Mountain_farm

Danie Clarke and mom

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

psimation

We’re off grid. The good news is, we got everything paid off. The bad news is, now we’re both handicapped. Barely able to maintain our critters and the 20 acre farm. We have the knowledge, materials, and the tools, just lacking in ability to do much.

Looking for help in return for help.

http://www.poohcornersfarm.blogspot.com

Sonnikku

I am new here and I am working to be off grid. I am a beginner, and just starting. I have been looking into things since last year, and now this has sort of become my new “obsession.” I agree that some people feel that they have to be a part of a “community” of like thinkers. That’s going to be hard. I am alone in my endeavors. But I really don’t feel alone. When you are prepping, you really don’t have time. I am busy talking to people who farm, buying things, talking to some more folks about where to get this and that, and really, I am enjoying my “little secret.” I have a solar generator coming to me, and I am planning my garden. I live in a small town and have a small yard, but my dream is to turn it into my off-grid “dream yard.” The size is manageable for me, and that makes me happy. My goal is not to be in any lines when stuff happens. You don’t have to have a “lot” of money to do this. Just put your priorities in line. For example, I’ve been wanting a Nook or Kindle. NOW, I see that as a luxury I don’t need. I can use that @200 + dollars to get food, plants, or some other supplies. I am an English teacher, so I am definitely not rich. I make do with what I have. I hope to learn a lot from everyone here! :)

desert deb
    Participant

Glad to see the want, that is a big part of this. When i was little and even as i grew up i always felt like i was in the wrong time line. The more i learn the more convinced i am. I always thought it sounded like it could be so much simpler. I think this time line is the best of all. New technology to help us, new products daily, and a need for gentler expectations. Think how much better prepared this nation would be if people could depend on themselves for the bulk of what they need to sustain themselves. we also have to look at the children and the values this type of generation could produce. busy productive kids set patterns for life.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.