MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Thoreau Cabin Replica Build For $1000

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  lamar5292 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

lamar5292
    Participant

I have always admired Thoreau’s lifestyle and simple cabin so I decided to see if it could be built from modern lumber for about the same cost he stated in his book.

He claimed to have built it for $28.12 in 1845 and in todays money that would be $850-$900. Thoreau purchased a run down shanty (hut) and recycled much of his materials so if we can keep the price under $1000 I think we are close enough.

I designed the cabin based on Thoreau’s design of a 10×15 cabin but made it 10×16 to eliminate cutting off lumber which comes in 16 foot lengths. I don’t think Thoreau would mind.

The cabin can be used simply as Thoreau did with no indoor toilet and shower and just a bed, desk, table, 3 chairs and a fireplace or I have included the modern version with solar power, on demand water heater, full bath/shower, composting toilet and even a laundry area. I also include a loft design that would allow the cabin to sleep 3 people.

The ebook plans and 3D models are available here: http://www.simplesolarhomesteading.com/thoreaucabin.htm

LaMar

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

I like the idea of not having to cut off boards, that would make it quicker and simpler to build.

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

So LaMar, how’s things going in your world? Well I hope, I need to hop over and watch some of your videos, I haven’t visited in a while. :)

Wretha

lamar5292
    Participant

Hi Wretha, things are going pretty good. Just getting ome planting done on the homestead and doing some landscaping. Bushes and trees to give the place a little shade and shrubery.

I am building that Thoreau cabin as a workshop and will be discussing Thoreau and small house living as I teach people basic building techniques. Should be interesting.

Did you see my cabin in Mother Earth News?

How have you been and what are you up to?

LaMar

12vman
    Participant

Good to see you, Lamar! And thanks for all that you do..

lamar5292
    Participant

Hey 12vman how are you friend?

I am still puttering around building small cabins and off-grid projects.

LaMar

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

I found the write up on your cabin on Mother Earth News’ site, I don’t take the mag anymore, used to, miss it… and wow, kudos to you! It looks really good :)

http://www.motherearthnews.com/green-homes/solar-cabin-in-two-weeks-zm0z14jjzsor.aspx?PageId=1#axzz32kzavFme

As for us, things are going pretty well, PB has been working on the sky castle again, I’m sure you know how this goes, he works on something for a bit, then has to wait to be inspired to start something else, fortunately it doesn’t take much to get him inspired…

I do hope you will make and upload plenty of videos of you working on your new projects and workshop, can’t wait to see what you are up to, just watched your video about your neighbor’s log cabin, I agree with you, they look cool, and if that’s what you have to work with, it will get the job done, but they aren’t good on insulation or keeping the creepy crawlies out… our creepy crawlies are starting to get active again, I think I was “attacked” by a kissing bug tonight, it flew and landed on my upper shoulder, it was dark so I couldn’t see it very well, I thumped it off of me. They are a problem around here in spring and summer. Do you have problem insects and other creepy crawlers where you live?

Wretha

lamar5292
    Participant

Hi Wretha, I owned a pest control company for many years. Used to treat a ladies house that was bit by a kissing bug and almost died. We have bad black widow and hobo spiders here.

LaMar

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.