MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Documentary series about living off the grid

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  beast 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

The original poster of this thread was a production company that posted without permission. I am taking the discussion over because as regular readers know, its something I have wanted to do for a long time. Either as a Web series or a self-funded film.

I tried kickstarter but did not do it right somehow, and blew a lot of effort and cash trying to get that to work.

Its a difficult expensive thing to do well, because you have to film in remote locations for a long time, but I still vey much want to do it.

So if there are any people living in desert locations, or people who are leaving the city to go off the grid anywhere, please get in touch and see if we can work something out,.

beast
    Participant

like what do you have in mind?

Cahow
    Participant

I think I remember another TV series where individuals all went off grid. Wasn’t it called LOST, ? (LOL)

Sorry, I felt compelled to inject a wee bit of humour into a thread. Serious respondants, just ignore me. ;)

Anonymous

Thanks for the interest, please feel free to drop me a line and we can discuss in more detail, however a bit more info:

We are looking for families or groups of individuals who are heavily considering changing to a life off the grid. This should be fueled by a personal belief that this lifestyle will be best for them and their families, however their loved ones may or may not be entirely convinced.

Ideal candidates should not be extremely practiced in the art of living off the grid but will be serious and have done extensive research: They have the desire and the knowledge but not the hands-on experience.

The basic premise of the show will be to provide an off the grid homestead for the family and see how they put their research and skills into practice.

This will offer a chance for individuals who are interested in pursuing a different lifestyle to experience the challenges, difficulties , decisions and rewards of living off the grid.

Please feel free to contact me for more information.

beast
    Participant

“Ideal candidates should not be extremely practiced in the art of living off the grid but will be serious and have done extensive research: They have the desire and the knowledge but not the hands-on experience.”

that lets me out…lol

beast
    Participant

now if you want to do a show to teach people how to survive and thrive….

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Sounds like a soap opera to me…

I have to say that I do not like the reality shows about living off grid, they tend to paint the off grid person/family as an antisocial, gun toting, uneducated, food hording, inbred, tinfoil hat wearing red neck… not that there is anything wrong with that :)

I turn down one or two producers a month looking for someone to video, no thanks!

Wretha

Cahow
    Participant

“The basic premise of the show will be to provide an off the grid homestead for the family and see how they put their research and skills into practice.”

I’m right there with you, Wretha, on how ‘south’ this show could go in portraying honest off-grid people as the Tinfoil Hat-wearing crowd, and the part I bolded couldn’t allude to that fact more clearly. So, the basic premise of the show is to film people with no actual hands-on experience and then laugh at them while they attempt a learning curve. NO THANKS!

I knew nothing about the off grid community before joining this site and thanks to Wretha and the gang, I’ve learned SO much and have come away with deep understanding and appreciation for their goals. NOW, I can defend them and their lifestyle when alternative lifestyles come up, tearing down ignorance and prejudice. Between the zombie shows and prepper shows already on cable, off gridders are lumped into that lot and it’s not fair.

Now, if it were a PBS type of show, where you had several off grid families who shared their knowledge and skills each week, I’d give THAT show 100% approval.

Cahow
    Participant

Curious. Subject title and original post are now missing. Huh.

beast
    Participant

maybe we should work on a way to show people how to go off-grid on tv

Cahow
    Participant

Cahow wrote: “Now, if it were a PBS type of show, where you had several off grid families who shared their knowledge and skills each week, I’d give THAT show 100% approval.”

beast wrote: “maybe we should work on a way to show people how to go off-grid on tv.”

I’ve heard, beast, that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. (LOL) Oh, well, two different ways of saying the same thing. ~snort~

Did you notice that the original post is gone and the contact information from the 2nd post is also gone? Maybe Mr. Hollywood thought he’d find prime pickin’s here. Ha! Off Grid Mama’s didn’t raise no fools!

Nick Rosen
    Keymaster

Hi, the poster got embarrassed when I complained to his boss and deleted himself, but actually its a useful topic, and as you know I would love to make an indie film on the subject and over the years the right opportunity has not come along. The people I wanted to film did not want to be filmed, or when I tried to raise money it did not work out.

I am looking for people who are just making the move – leaving the city for an off-grid life, preferably teaming up with some experienced leaders.

Let me know by email if you have any suggestions, as this section has too many TV people watching

beast
    Participant

i will work with newbies to help them learn

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.