MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion The Story of Dick Proenneke – off grid the old way

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  elnav 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

jetsetjason
    Participant

Kathleen
    Participant

I love that dvd! We watch it all the time. The book is good too. Yes, he had a good way of doing things didn’t he?

katlupe

sixgun911

Own the dvd myself…OUTSTANDING story. I think on the short list for those wanting to go off grid or reduce dependency on BIG COMPANY UTILITY. Gives a simple explanation of doing the off grid life strictly using the blue collar skills.

elnav

Is it only me that sees a problem with this kind of approach. You cannot build a future society with solitary hermits. In fact it becomes hard to create a community when the potential members consist of solitary hermits living alone.

Going off into the boondocks to live in solitary splendor does not create families and future generations or vital communities. What you do create is dissident inhabitant in voluntary solitary confinememtn. That is as effective as them being locked up but cost the existing rulers (the establishment) a lot less in aggravation and expense of building jails and staffing it with guards.

The only way to overcome of the existing people in power is to outnumber them with a population and society having different values than greed. At present the experiments in that direction has not been very sucessful.

rustyfingers
    Participant

Proenneke’s approach wasn’t aiming to do anything other than, provide himself with a comfortable life while not affecting anyone else’s, and I respect that. His books & home movies (there are several by the way, I have 4 home movies of his myself) were put together by another, outside source, strickly as entertainment & possibly for some monetary gain. Not as an “how-to” guide to today’s permaculturists. Even though, his methods are the best suited to those working within similar conditions & principals of “no electricity required”!

D. Proenneke’s my hero! I played his home movie “Alone in the Wild” for my 73 year old mom during our Thanksgiving here & we both enjoyed it immenselly, comenting several times about how similar he was to her dad, my grandpa, who was another very down to earth, common sense sort of guy.

elnav

Rustyfingers wrote: “D. Proenneke’s my hero! I played his home movie “Alone in the Wild” for my 73 year old mom during our Thanksgiving here & we both enjoyed it immenselly, comenting several times about how similar he was to her dad, my grandpa, who was another very down to earth, common sense sort of guy.

He was characteristic of his generation. Around here in Northern BC you find lots of people like him. My wife’s uncle needed a small bulldozer so he built one from scratch. That was over 20 years ago and the machine is still around. Many of the pioneers around here were similarly innovative. If you look for books on local history and people you can find many such stories showing local pioneers doing things pretty much as Dick Proenneke did it. Not to detract from what he did but to point out this was the way things normally were much less than a century ago. How soon we forget.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.