MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion The man, his laws, and wanting to be off-grid

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  halane34 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

My views on being off-grid have always related to not paying for any public utilities. Just as much as I desire my freedom from the man, I want to lower my impact and footprint on the planet.

I’ve only been researching for a short while, but it seems there are quite a few road blocks to being off-grid. I’ve been reading alot of county codes for Washington and Oregon and it almost seems impossible! Vegetation setbacks, water rights, laws requiring you to hook up to public utilities, can’t have a well if there is city water, can’t dig a septic if there is city sewer, can’t get a building permit without hooking up to public power, etc…oh, and the latest one I saw for one of my possible future sites, can’t pitch a tent or live in a mobile for more than six months and that is only if you have permits for a permanent structure.

I’d appreciate any comments on my thoughts as this has got me quite confused as to how I can live off the grid without being hundreds of miles away from civilization.

jetsetjason
    Participant

live in a rv, then you can work in the city while staying on a rv park and then leave for the countryside where you can find lots of places to park, think ‘long holidays’ rather than ‘off-grid’ ?

Kathleen
    Participant

I live “off-grid” in upstate NY. Here you can live “off-grid” in the country with no problems. If you are building a new home, you do need permits and some things might not be accepted. What we did was to buy a house in the state forest that was a “hunting camp”. So we came under the “grandfather clauses” on some things, like the septic, or not having one as our house has an outhouse. Our house also did not have, and still does not have (SOON!) plumbing inside. We use a pitcher pump on a hand dug well that is right out front where it was put in by the original owner in the 1850’s. The only utilities we pay for is telephone and propane. That includes our 2 internet connections, as I run a internet business. Propane is for my gas cooking range (though I cook mostly on wood, so it’s not much.). Used to be for refrigeration also, though now I am switching to DC refrigeration soon so I took it out and am not using one for the moment.

As for being miles from civilization……we are only 6 miles from the closest small town, 12 miles from the Super Walmart and Lowes and a small city, and 35 miles from a bigger city. We are centrally located. Our goal is to be free from all paid fuels within the next 5 years.

katlupe

jetsetjason
    Participant

so,in effect, you bought a house in the country instead of building a new one

Kathleen
    Participant

Yes, an old house that was built in 1850. They really knew how to build houses then. We had a tornado hit us in 2000 and trees were down all over around us, including 6 on our house. Did not hurt us a bit and we still had our power that day!

katlupe

wes loder

My wife and I (see our blog for details,<http://wesloder.blogspot.com/&gt;) have been working on what will be our off grid retirement home for the past two years. We had no problems with our township. The land perked and we got a septic permit and we dug a well for our orchard and garden which now serves the house. No utility hookups and don’t plan to have any. Of course, if you are working with a bank, that can make a difference. The inspectors approved our plans and have been interested and even excited by what we are doing. The township people tell us we will be the first off grid place in the township. So far, so good. WES

wes loder

This is a follow up to our post from four months ago. Last week we received our occupancy permit. So we are set to go. Still no electricity except with generator, no refrigerator, no stove except grill and the oven of our masonry heater (in season). But we have hot water when the sun shines, and the place is getting comfortable. The inspectors gave us virtually no trouble. WE DO have a regular septic, and the place is 1/5 mile from the nearest neighbor, so setbacks were never an issue. WES LODER

halane34
    Participant

Sì, una vecchia casa che fu costruita nel 1850. Davvero saputo costruire le case allora. Abbiamo avuto un tornado ha colpito noi nel 2000 e gli alberi erano giù tutto intorno a noi, di cui 6 in casa nostra. Non farci del male un po ‘e abbiamo ancora avuto il nostro potere, quel giorno!

Trust Deed

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.