MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Surviving Off Off-Grid: Introduction

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  tomatosprouts 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Has anyone read the new book posted on https://www.off-grid.net called, “Surviving Off Off-Grid”? http://www.www.off-grid.net/off-off-grid-by-michael-bunker/off-off-grid-introduction/ I’m going to post some snippets from various sections of the chapters that I thought were worth pondering (one thread per chapter as I get through them again). Anyone have any thoughts? We are still in the process of moving towards this so it is a very helpful book for us to lay a foundation in our minds of where we are and what we seek to move towards (and why):

Off Off-Grid Introduction

“For over a century, the Western Democracies have seen unprecedented growth and apparent success, and have been the envy of the entire world when it comes to standard of living. Now, if one looks closely, it appears that there is a change coming – and that change is making a lot of people really uneasy.

But… have we been here before?”

Urbanism and Suburbanism, the Modern Rome

“The agrarian skills and trades that had allowed people to survive and thrive for thousands of years around the world had been almost completely forgotten or lost by the city-folk in Rome, and, much like today, city dwellers looked down on and sneered at people who actually had (or chose) to work in the soil and with their hands to provide the necessities of survival.”

JIT – Just In Time

“The Romans, after centuries of living the urban life, had little or no concept of how their food was grown or produced. If you asked a Roman how sustainable his existence was, he might reply “Rome is the eternal city. It has always been here, and it will always be here”.”

“The “advancements” of Rome (those accomplishments that allowed hundreds of thousands of people to live in an artificially constructed society, separated from the means of production) actually served to cripple and mentally enslave the people who became addicted to city and suburban life.”

Modern Society and the Myth of Mitigation of Threats

“Our world now functions on the premise that if people become more specialized and come together to create a global corporate economy (a prosperity machine), that nothing bad can happen to the new global Rome.”

“This book is for the few who are willing to look at facts the way they are, and not just the way that people want them to be.”

The 80/20 rule – and why I believe that it is overly optimistic

W”ell, I am going to go on the record as disagreeing with the 80/20 rule in this case. I do not believe that anywhere near 20% of the people are producers, workers, or survivors in the historical sense.”

“In reality, most of the people you know, if examined in a historical context, are not now viable or sustainable, meaning that they would not survive very long after a systemic failure of the JIT industrial/consumer life support grid that is our world today. I call this industrial-consumer life support system “the perpetual 72 degree consumer womb”. If a situation were to arise where people were forced, even for a very short amount of time (say weeks or months) to live exactly as their great-grandparents or ancestors lived, they would die off in massive numbers in very short order.”

So Why This Book?

“Almost every aspect of the grid-tied life is designed to keep you enslaved to it either by distracting you, or by keeping you ignorant of truth in various forms (Biblical, historical, etc), or simply by entangling you financially you that so that you can’t get out.”

Sin is Codified and Man attempts to Reign in God’s Stead

“It is my opinion that urban-industrialism (and the inter-connected/inter-dependent world required to support it) is responsible for most of what is wrong with the world. I confess most assuredly that sin is what is wrong with the world, but industrialism is the coalescence of all that sin does and can do in the world.”

“If, however, you think the issue bears investigating, then I offer Agrarianism as God’s survival alternative. I believe that disconnecting from the current system is vital for our spiritual safety, our physical well-being, and for our eternal good.”

The Grid

“There is a huge difference between utilizing some aspect of the world system, as necessary, for the purpose of further separating from it (much as you would, if you were in a small boat, push off from a dock in order to gain speed to separate from it), and loving the world by being tied to it – so do not let naysayers and illogical barkers convince you that if you believe in separation, that this separation must be complete, total, and immediate – else you are a hypocrite.”

“They will look at the Amish and they will say, “Ha! Some of the Amish use cell phones or diesel generators! Ha! They are just as worldly as me, and they are hypocrites!” No. They are 99% less dependent on the system than you are.”

“The trick for the industrialist is to provide sooooo much power, and at such a seemingly low cost, that people will go out into the corporate industrial stores and buy tons of once needless stuff that can be plugged eternally into wall sockets.”

The Bible tells us what the job of man was before the fall:

And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the Garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it. (Gen 2:15)

And this was the job of man after the fall:

Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the Garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. (Gen 3:23)

We are to work with our hands (1 Thess. 4:11), in the ground/soil (Gen. 3:23), and to be content with food and raiment (1 Tim. 6:8).

GETTING OUT

“Think of going off-grid as going into a lifeboat from a sinking ship. You may not be saved if you go off the ship, but you will surely die if you don’t. Anyway, we have to fall out of love with these things that pamper and cater to the flesh. And I am not saying that Off Off-Grid life is all discomfort, because it obviously is not. Many of our ancestors lived really good lives.”

“This book is about a whole new way of thinking and a whole new philosophy of life (new for you, but old when examined historically). It is a paradigm changer, and it is also a spiritual road map to simpler and Godlier living.”

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.